God and Caesar

lt is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.
— Seneca

As we continue our journey of recovering our inner artist, we come face to face with the challenges of healing our sense of abundance; wealth and prosperity for us, in particular, and specifically given to our artist self, so that we have all the materials and energy imaginable to wildly, joyfully explore and fulfill our creative desires.

Abstractly, or on an intellectual level, we might believe this. We try to have faith. But do we actually behave as if our material support, in terms of cold, hard cash, is a done deal with our own Maker? And what, exactly would that look like?

To begin to work with this, and to understand what prosperity actually means, especially when everything around us looks like economic Winter, I am recalling some of the posts I wrote in 2007, when I had researched the history and meaning of money…

At one time, most recently in the Celtic lands before the Roman conquest, precious metals like gold and silver were not symbols, but were understood as literal manifestations of the Divine – gold for the Sun, silver for the Moon. As such, they were treated with extreme reverence, and were given only to the Gods and Goddesses in artistic shapes such as goblets, cauldrons, and jewelry. Often, these offerings were dropped into holy streams and wells, hence the wishing well of modern times.

Money continued to be a sacred link between Heaven and Earth well into Roman times. But gradually, with the use of coins and notes to represent the stored grain and other trade goods, the direct connection between money and the Divine weakened. Still, for many centuries, money was thought to be a bridge between the favor of the Gods and earthly life. Coins were often imprinted on one side with a Deity, and on the other side with a secular symbol, such as a portrait of the Emperor.

As the Roman Empire crumbled and finally fell, the local agrarian economy became paramount. During the European Dark Ages, there was little trade beyond a day’s journey. Money was rare among the noble classes and practically nonexistent among the peasantry. It simply had no particular worth or use.

Trade and barter were the basis for the economy in Europe, and wealth was much more directly connected to the rise and fall of the fortunes of working with the Earth. Although Pagan beliefs were being overlaid with Christianity, many folk customs prevailed which honored the yearly cycles and appeased the forces of Nature. Survival, after all, was intimately dependent on the benevolence, not just of the Christ, but the local springs and wells, fertility, the rains, and the changing seasons.

Early Christianity had a deep repulsion for the Roman tastes for sensuality, avarice and materialism. So the Christian Church, in its early days, was a champion of teaching balance between the secular and the spiritual, if not complete rejection of the material world, since it was expected that their God would be returning momentarily.

So began the history of money being the antithesis of spirituality. And yet we also live with the Puritan-based belief that wealth is proof that God loves us. This deep conflict is fundamental to our economy even today. But there is a chance it may be changing, including for us.

More tomorrow.

• July 14, 2009, 12:16 pm Debra She Who Seeks

You know, that Seneca was one smart dude.

• July 14, 2009, 1:49 pm Star

I am trusting that abundance will flow to me to allow me to pay for the 2 fabulous artist-style silky, flowing outfits (that fit me perfectly and are colored just right for me), I have on hold at my local favorite clothing store. (pretty much the only place I shop for clothing besides Goodwill!) I went into the store just to purchase a tank top…but these outfits jumped on my body when I went to the dressing room. The last thing I needed to spend money on right now was more clothing, but…..stuff happens and you just know it is RIGHT!
    With the help of this local woman's clothing store, I am beginning to dress like an artist, in many more colors, with more interesting fabrics and textures, lots of hats and, of course, clothes that show off my jewelry! So, I am expecting the universe to flow some abundance in, so I can flow some out to the local economy and keep honoring my artist self and the astute business woman who runs the shop. So Mote It BE! Let's have this money energy spiral around Bedford for now!

Star*

• July 14, 2009, 1:50 pm Star

By the way, the clothing store is called: Elaine's Wearable Art

Star*

• July 14, 2009, 2:54 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

{{{{ RADIANT, POWERFUL BEAMS OF BEAUTY and ABUNDANCE }}}}} SHINING ONTO }}}}} STAR and her NEW CLOTHES }}}}

In this way, may her beautiful outer appearance begin to match her amazing, creative Inner Self! And may prosperity flow to ALL in the process!

The Goddess approves, I know she does!!!

Love,

• July 14, 2009, 8:45 pm Star

I'm glad, because sometimes it is scary to go out on the limb with my funds and catch up a month or two later! It is WAY too easy to order my beading materials on line. My bead boxes are filled with abundantly beautiful beads with which to create empowering earth energy filled necklaces, bracelets and earrings to, hopefully, enhance connection to the Goddess. My bank accounts, however, need a little replenishment from the abundance of the universe! So Mote it BE! (oh yeah, did I mention the new gold crown I needed to replace a disintegrating tooth, which cost $300 more this year than last for a total of over a $1000…?…and the major 150,000 mile service due on my vehicle in a month) Yikes!…Goddess, please be generous!

Star*

• July 15, 2009, 5:17 am Jen

My money issues are a little bit different. I grew up on the poverty line in coal country in Southwest VA. Dad was a coal miner, uncles were coal miners, grandfathers were coal miners. I remember being keenly aware of the fear that comes with a lack of money.

Now I'm married to someone who's financially secure enough for me to be a stay-at-home mom. So I wouldn't NEED my creative pursuits (writing, for me) to generate income. But one thing that my parents taught me about money does get stuck in my head: "If you're good at something, never do it for free."

That leaves me with two options. One–I'm not a good writer. Two–I'm a good writer, but I shouldn't do it because no one's paying me. Arrrgh!

• July 15, 2009, 11:09 am briony

But, Jen, you're not doing it for free – you're doing it for love (and satisfaction).:)

Bree