Yes You Can!

Awakening © 2009 Lisa Rough
In a dark time, the eye begins to see.
— Theodore Roethke

Well, I woke up this morning still a bit shaky about how I’m going to manage the logistics of my reading deprivation week, but suddenly, I’m a lot more eager about getting into it. Since I’ve done it before, I am finally remembering how light, airy, and gentle this time can be.

The resistance, even indignation, of course, can be intense. Julia obviously has the scars to prove it, writing, “At least one student always explains to me – pointedly, in no uncertain terms – that he or she is a very important and busy person with duties and obligations that include reading.

“This information is inevitably relayed in a withering tone that implies I am an idiot child, an artistic flake, unable to grasp the complexities of an adult’s life. I just listen.

“When the rage has been vented, when all the assigned reading for college courses and jobs has been mentioned, I point out that I have had jobs and I have gone to college and that in my experience, I had many times wriggled out of reading for a week due to procrastination. As blocked creatives, we can be very creative at wriggling out of things. I ask my class to turn their creativity to wriggling into not reading.”

So. No reading at all? Except for safety (don’t be silly — yes, of course you can and should read road signs and the directions on your prescription medicine!), no reading of words. (As opposed to, say, the images on Tarot cards!)

And I promise you, you can get to sleep at night without your bedside reading. And yes, you can get through your morning ablutions, too. If you are really going nuts, get out your morning pages and write!

By the way, I would advise you not use this as an excuse to numb out for hours and hours in front of the TV or on mindless phone calls you would not have otherwise made. The point here is NOT to find new ways to zone out or distract ourselves.

The point is to be more deeply present. You will begin to hear your own thoughts, not those of others’ opinions and views. This is nothing less than a vision quest; a journey in which you can dwell with awareness and appreciation in the sensory world of your body, see the beautiful interconnectedness around you with fresh eyes, and at last, hear the profound voice of your most intimate inner Beloved, the Creator within you.

In fact, in my morning pages today, I began listing all the things I might do while my computer is dark, and my books and magazines are gathering dust. And I instantly felt grounded and very happy to think about them:

Clear off my desk, play with my Tarot decks (but not look anything up in books), start an art journal, make up lots of herbal magick bundles, repair the roof of my shrine to the Baba Yaga, finally get around to shopping at our local bead store, do some serious weeding and gardening (to hell with the ticks!), visit the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke (free for Durham residents!), change the strings on my guitar, explore a consignment store I’ve had my eye on … the temptations are delicious and infinite.

My work duties have not vanished, of course. I have appointments with clients next week, and I will be on a call-in radio show on Tuesday morning. And I will see about my World Tarot Day one-card reading requests. But I might not actually email folks’ answers till I’m finished with my week.

So. This weekend, instead of video or poetry selections, I’ll be posting the exercises that Julia suggests as we do this work, so please check in for the next couple of days, before we all check out for a bit.

I can already feel the fresh breezes of possibilities and adventure.

Can’t you?

• May 22, 2009, 11:46 am freak22

I know that this is going to sound like I am trying to find a way around the reading deprivation, to be honest the more I think about it the more I look forward to it and want to do it.

I live in California and I just found out today that on Tuesday we will be getting the supreme courts decision about if they will over turn prop 8 (it bans gay marriage in our state) and so this week is going to be a very important week for those of us who are trying to support the rights of all citizens. either we will be celebrating or starting over in our fight. either way as I am a firm believer in equality I am going to have to reading announcements and the like.

I think the reading deprivation is a great idea even if it terrifies me and I am looking forward to all this time to myself with out other words to could my mind. I even planned to start the week with a fast because I do one about this time of year every year and this sounded like a great time to do it. I feel bad in a way that I’m going to have to ignore part of this week but this decision this Tuesday is very important to me and many people I know. I cant just ignore it.

I’m not even sure why I’m telling you all this. I’m not sure if I’m looking for approval or if i just want more people to know what is happening to people here in California but I just felt the need to say something.

Heather

• May 22, 2009, 12:01 pm pilgrim

you write “I can already feel the fresh breezes of possibilities and adventure. can you?” and i answer “yes i can!”

i’m awed and always inspired, when i turn again to the artist’s way, at synchronicity, the way things fall together and amaze.

yesterday i wrote in comments about seeing the figure in flowing garments out of the corner of my eye, as i was walking the labyrinth, and then in a moment i knew that presence had entered the labyrinth with me, and then, woosh, had entered me.

spirit, the muse. you ask, spirit is there.

yesterday only an hour or so after i wrote, my oldest son called me from nyc and said really, take the day off. i have something spectacular planned for you.

not long after that i got an email with the info that i had seats to fleetwood mac.

all of us of who came of age in the 70s, we all loved rumours, all of us women looked at stevie nicks on the cover, listened to her sing about dreams, about the landslide, about rhiannon- every boy i knew secretly wanted to know her, every girl i knew wanted to be her.

ah. it was magical. we were right there. the best seats in the house. when i go to the opera, i love to have the box seat, level with the stage, closest to the stage, on the jerry side. those were the seats isaac got me.

it was amazing!

life is amazing. dreams unwind love’s a state of mind

yes you can

• May 22, 2009, 2:20 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

Okay, you two! You are making me smile so much my face hurts! 🙂 🙂

Heather – thanks for telling us about the prop 8 action.. I didn’t know it was already coming to a head.. Sending mega energy for that b.s. prop to be GONE!!!!

• May 22, 2009, 6:54 pm Star

Nice concert!…Fleetwood Mac! Love them, too. I am also angered by these state legislative actions that limit our freedoms…

I just had a poem and article and picture of my Earth Elements beads in the most recent issue of the Order of the Earth newspaper. Check it out before we stop reading! June issue is now on line in full color.

I’m wondering if I can read the directions to making my digital camera work so I can photograph my beadwork. I am a dummy when it comes to these new fangled technologies (I know, you probably wonder how I have survived without one of these until now…it was not hard to pretend the instant cameras were okay for now….)
    or
    the recipes for baking and cooking. I don’t consider these ‘words of others’, just steps in a formula.
    or
    If I go out shopping, how do I know what to pay for the items I choose? Just pondering….

It may be kinds challenging to pay bills without looking – 1st of the month occurs during our week …Yikes! (said tongue in cheek…I already set most of them up on line!)

Star*

• May 23, 2009, 5:00 am Lily Wyte

I’m excited about this:))

• May 23, 2009, 6:47 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Star! Thank you, not only for your beautiful poetry, but for pointing us to this fantastic newsletter! What a wonderful resource! I am going to subscribe asap!

And you pose some good questions..I am sure that reading instructions, recipes, price tags,and other written directions is NOT the reading that Julia is talking about.

But. The less the better. For instance, I am planning to balance my checking account and pay bills BEFORE reading deprivation.

And if there are recipes I might use, I may just jot down the basic info, and skip the cookbooks because I love my cookbooks and can get lost browsing through them, especially the chatty ones. Now that would be reading.

What we want to do is, for just one week, ELIMINATE the “voices” of other people in our heads. That’s why we can write, and we can read our own words.