Recovering Our Integrity

Integrity (Nine of Wands) – © Voyager Tarot

The death rate for people who play it safe and for people who live boldly is the same: 100 percent.
– Patti Dingh, Life is a Verb

Did you work on your homework over the weekend? What sorts of affirmations did you come up with?

This week, the chapter “Recovering A Sense of Integrity” draws to a close. In delicious synchronicity with this theme, one of my heroes of the Tarot, James Wanless, creator of the Voyager Deck, recently posted about the Integrity card on his blog:

Integral means to be whole, and while integrity is often used at living in your truth and authenticity, it still refers to the quality of being wholly, fundamentally put together so that there are no compromises, gaps and uncertainties…

Integrity is about hooking together and thinking and being in a ‘both/and’ world. When we can hold to the polarities and embrace them both, wow, we have an enduring, dynamically, flexible stability…Take the middle road. Think whole, inclusive, expansive and balanced.”

In order to do this, the ongoing work is to restore our wholeness, living in our truth. Our work here has been to recover that sense of who we are, minus the layers of detritus that have accumulated as we submerged beneath other peoples’ dramas, the lash of our inner critic, our shame, and our fears.

If you took some time over the weekend to review your morning pages so far, I hope you were surprised to see how far along your healing and recovery have really come. Today, we have another exercise for excavating the buried artist within us. I’m going to offer it in two parts.

Julia describes it as discovering long lost shards of buried dreams and delights. “Do a little digging, please,” she writes. “Be fast and frivolous. This is an exercise in spontaneity, so be sure to write your answers out quickly. Speed kills the Censor.”

1. List five hobbies that sound fun.

2. List five classes that sound fun.

3. List five things you personally would never do that sound fun.

Please share with us, if you’d like. Part two will be tomorrow!

• May 19, 2009, 8:16 am Beth Owl's Daughter

I’ll go first.
    1. Hobbies that sound fun, that I’m not currently doing, made up very fast off the top of my head, in no particular order:
    . Model trains
    . Making pottery
    . Horseback riding
    . Making Spirit Houses. Repairing clocks

2. Classes:
    . Watercolors
    . Wine tasting
    . Piano lessons
    . Tarot at the Omega Institute
    . anything with RJ Stewart

3. It sounds fun, but I would never personally. study martial arts
    . go white water rafting

hmm… this is hard, I am sort of happy to say. I am having trouble thinking of things I would never do..maybe if I say “probably never”..
    . quilt
    . make altered books
    . collect dolls

• May 19, 2009, 6:21 pm Thalia

Hobbies:

Kite-flying
    Making miniatures/dollhouses
    Making Jewelry (casting)
    Mushroom-hunting
    Star-gazing

Classes:

Language like Greek, Latin, Gaelic
    Weaving
    Astronomy
    Something more esoteric or magical though I don’t know quite what, reiki or herblore or Goddess-stuff
    Foundry

Stuff I’d never personally do:

You’re right, this is a hard one. The stuff I was coming up with were ‘nevers’ because the fear part was vastly outweighing the fun part, like, skydiving or bungee-jumping, that kind of thing.

Getting a pilot’s license
    Glass blowing
    Hitchhike alone through Europe
    Grow bonsai trees
    Spin yarn

• May 19, 2009, 9:01 pm Star

My ideas of hobbies that sound fun: + music collector/recorder
    + Quilting
    + Painting complex designs on eggs (I forget the name of this craft)
    + Felting wall hangings with alpaca fleece
    + traveling from retreat to retreat and always being around other seekers

Classes that sound interesting:
    + Art and Color
    + Harmony singing
    + Drumming with Jim Donovan (I'll get to do this July 2 & 3!)
    + jewelry making
    + acrylic painting

Things I would never do but sound fun:
    + parachuting/sky diving
    + cruise ( I get sea sick)
    + travel to foreign countries
    + spend time at posh resorts (excluding Esalen, I would go there in a heartbeat, if I had the time and money!)
    + (X rated…..)

It was not hard to list any of these and I could have made each list longer.

I had a fabulous massage with cranio sacral work today and it succeeded in helping me re-balance my self. I have been feeling out of sorts and off kilter for several weeks, but today felt like my normal self again! This was a loving thing to do for my artist date this week – I really needed it!

Star*

• May 19, 2009, 9:19 pm Star

Affirmations – I made some changes to my original affirmations in ( ).

2. I am surrounded and supported by grace, beauty, abundance (and other seekers. I am not alone on this path!)

4. I have all that I need to manifest (art and) joy in my life.

12. My creative acts (manifest instead of ‘hold’) unexpected gifts and possibilities.

15. I am open to miracles, (delight and overflowing abundance!).

16. I experience feelings of flow and bliss when singing, drumming, making mandalas, coloring, writing, crocheting, and beading (and sharing these with others).

3 new affirmations have also been added to my list:

21. A flow of grace moves me to my right livelihood, companions and destiny.

22. I am finding the river of creativity and saying “YES” to its flow!

23. I honor and support my artist self with creative solitude and healing time alone each day, week, month and year.

Thanks for listening!

Star*

• May 20, 2009, 6:12 pm freak22

hobbies

making jewelry (beads)
    learning to dance (ball room or folk)
    learning a marshal art
    carving wood items
    sculpting clay

classes

ancient history
    anthropology
    basket weaving
    herbalism
    cloth making(from the sheep all the way to the shirt)

i cant list 5 things that sound fun but would never do because if given the
    chance i will try anything once. the only things I have no interest in trying don’t sound fun, if they sound fun I’m willing to give it a go.

Heather( i told you i lurk)

• May 21, 2009, 7:46 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Heather! I love that you’ll try anything once! And I’m really glad you’re here, lurking or not!

Star – As much as I already loved your other affirmations, these are just gorgeous and ring so true! Thank you!!!

Thalia– OOOOOooo! Yes! Glass blowing! That’s one I would probably never try, but wish I could already just do!