I love that we are heading into our reading deprivation week just after today’s New Moon. Like the dark of the Moon, we enter a pause, full of secret potential, hidden and waiting. Then, little by little, the light emerges.
Lynn Hayes writes that this “Gemini New Moon takes place at 8:10 am on Sunday morning EDT. This New Moon is exactly trine the North Node of the Moon, revealing this as an event with the potential for real significance in our lives. The North Node assists us in our quest to realize our soul’s purpose, and a new beginning is possible here, especially in the area of your chart where the New Moon falls.
“The New Moon chart … suggests that the mind will not be of great help now unless we let go of our old ways of thinking about our lives and allow ourselves to expand our thinking to allow for new possibilities. This is an event for the heart and for the soul, linking the two in a completely new way.
“A harmonious sextile from Mars to the triple conjunction [of Jupiter, Chiron, and Neptune] helps to provide the fire and enthusiasm to keep us inspired so that we can take advantage of the powerful energy available now.” Indeed!
So, the other exercises Julia recommends during our reading deprivation week are:
* Review the “life pie chart” you made back in April. She asks, “Has that nasty tarantula changed shape yet? Haven’t you been more active, less rigid, more expressive? Be careful not to expect too much too soon. That’s raising the jumps. Growth must have time to solidify into health. One day at a time, you are building the habit patterns of a healthy artist. Easy does do it.”
She suggests that we list some self-nurturing toys we could buy for our inner artist. For instance, after our reading deprivation week is over, you might treat yourself to some books on tape (or MP3 or CD) or a subscription to that yummy magazine you always fondle at the newsstand. Or maybe you’d prefer theatre tickets, or a bowling ball!
* She suggests that you write your own Artist’s Prayer, citing one in the back of the book, and use it every day for a week. For the sake of space, and because there is a lot more that we could say about this, I am skipping focusing on this today, but if you want, it’s in the “Trail Mix” appendix.
* An extended artist date: Plan a mini-vacation during this time, like a full day of artist-nurturing adventures. One of my favorite things to do is play tourist in my own town. I know people who live in Washington, DC who have never been to the White House and people in the NYC area who only ever visited the Statue of Liberty in sixth grade. Or spend a day museum-hopping. Even small towns have fascinating, often deliciously quirky landmarks and galleries.
* Open your closet. Throw out or recycle or donate one low-self-worth outfit. Oh, yes — you know which one she means! Make space for the new.
* Look at one situation in your life that you feel you should change but haven’t yet. What is the payoff you’re getting for staying stuck?
* If you break your reading deprivation, write about how and why you did. Was it a tantrum? A slip-up? A rebellious binge? How did you feel about it afterwards? Why?
I hesitate to even mention this last one, because it implies that the reading deprivation is so hard, you might need to give yourself permission to fail. In my experience, and that of others I know who have done this, that is really not true. In fact, after about two days of strangeness, it is more likely to get remarkably easy, affirming, and shockingly pleasurable!
Tomorrow, I’ll be posting the Card of the Week and celebrating World Tarot Day. Then we will go off on our separate, quieting journeys. Please meet me back here (or at my website) on Monday, June 1 for the next Card of the Week. And on Tuesday, June 2, we’ll convene to discuss our experiences.
Meantime, today, I recommend that you harness the divine energy of this auspicious lunation. I hope you will use the seed-planting magic of this New Moon to sow your intentions for the gifts coming to you in the coming week, and days following.
May they include transformative, ecstatic reunions with your Creative soul, the receiving of astonishing revelations from your wild true voice, unedited visits from your purest, most intimate creative vision, and the deep prophecy of your most passionate destiny.