Witches’ Thanksgiving

These three ways lead to the heavens:
asserting the truth,

not yielding to anger,

and giving…

Dhammapada, verse 224

Right now, if I get one more email that’s fairly vibrating with fear and anger regarding the economy, Sarah Palin, John McCain, and on and on, I think I might have a case of the vapors. Yes, I am working for change and you’d better believe I will vote. (And yes, I do love hearing from my loved ones as we journey these historic times together).

But some of this energy is becoming downright toxic and that’s not productive.

So, with the encouragement of the Divine Ms. Euphrosyne, who is the Grace of Festivity and Good Cheer, I will focus on the fact that we are still in the season of Mabon, sometimes called The Witches’ Thanksgiving.

I know. Things are looking scary, scary. Like many of you, in the past couple of weeks, my husband and I have watched helplessly as decades of savings and preparation for retirement vanish. Things are reminding me more and more of the stories from my mother and grandmother, whose wealthy, well-educated professional family in southern Alabama was completely wiped out in the Great Depression.

Scary, scary.

And, interestingly, it also just so happens that we are right in the middle of the harvest season. Obviously, some of the harvest we’re seeing is ruination, thanks to the poisonous agenda of those who we trusted to be the stewards of our wealth.

Yet, the antidote to this steady message of fear and anxiety is awareness, and with real awareness, there really can only be one response: gratitude.

As I write this, I am sitting in a comfortable, safe, peaceful home, in front of a computer that connects me instantly to people all over the world. In a little while, I’ll go upstairs, and with almost no effort, I will pour clear, disease-free water from a tap. I will drink coffee and eat fruit brought to me from the other side of the globe. All the while, in the background and hardly noticing, I am listening to profoundly beautiful music that, through most of history, would have been only rarely heard — by royalty.

Every day I choose what I’ll wear from drawers and a closet full of clothes. I can hop in my car and drive a mile or two to a store that offers me thousands of choices of cereal, fresh fruit, cheeses, cookies, meats, and more. An entire aisle is devoted to food for dogs and cats! Another offers hundreds of soaps and detergent that I can put into a machine that does my work for me.

In other words, I have food in my refrigerator. To wash them, I do not have to beat my only three or four garments with rocks in a polluted river. I can switch on and off my electric lights at any time of the day. I am not hiding my family from gunfire on a daily basis.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a safe place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of the people in this world. If you have any money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthiest.

Let awareness guide us. Let us know and tell the truth: no more sugar-coated lies that protect those impressive, smiling thieves. But let us also understand and appreciate this: we are blessed every moment in a thousand ways undreamed of by past emperors and sultans. We enjoy lives of staggering ease and comfort unknown today to the vast majority of the other human inhabitants of this planet.

In giving thanks, we claim our real power – the power of awakened love. And with our clear eyes and open hearts, we can shape a very different, more honest and compassionate future for all.

• September 26, 2008, 10:30 am ARIE

I would like to share some insight about truth. It is something I try to put my awareness constantly.
    First of all it is necessary to stop lying to ourselves. People lie to themselves and are not even aware of it. This is hard work.
    If I did something wrong and continue justifying myself, it enpoisons me. If I stop lying to myself it helps me stop lying to others.
    Love
    Arie

• September 26, 2008, 12:06 pm Lynda

Oh, Beautifully, Wonderfully said!!! Thank you.

• September 26, 2008, 1:29 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

Thanks, Arie! You are so right..
    This is hard work, but it is the basis for everything.

• September 26, 2008, 7:11 pm Rick Loftus

Beth, blessings to you for such a sane, sane posting in a whirlwind-tossed week.
    My circle did a Mabon ritual for bee-healing last weekend and our harvest meal included foods produced by the work of bees. (Basically, every fruit or vegetable you can think of.)
    The root of the word “gratitude” is the proto-IndoEuropean “*gwer”, which is also the source of our word “grace”–as in, the state of grace. Giving thanks is Godly.

• September 26, 2008, 9:55 pm Anonymous

Your point is very well made and well taken, but it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t speak out with outrage about corruption and the lies we’ve been fed. There needs to be a distinction between gratitude for what we have and complacency.

• September 27, 2008, 12:34 am earthreflection

Dear Beth,
    Thanks for your great post. In case you haven’t seen this: below is another voice joining in with yours to keep the light of gratitude and possibilities alive as we co-create new forms out of chaos with the Divine. Blessings.
    -=Terry=-

THE NEED OF THE HOUR
    by Patricia Diane Cota-Robles

As the archetypes for God’s Infinite Abundance and Eternal Peace filter into the physical, etheric, mental and emotional strata of Earth, everything that conflicts with these patterns of perfection is being pushed to the surface to be healed and transmuted back into Light. Things seem very difficult at this time. That is due to the fact that as we watch the news and read our newspapers we easily see the horrific patterns of greed, fraud, corruption and the inequitable distribution of wealth that are being exposed. What we do not see as easily, is the incredible Light that is pushing these obsolete patterns of separation, fear and the abuse of power to the surface.

It is not the Divine Intent of our Father-Mother God for this imperative cleansing of the global economic system to take awakening Humanity down the tubes financially. Quite the contrary. The Divine Intent is for these old behavior patterns, which have caused so much pain and suffering throughout the world, to be quickly exposed and eliminated. Then the patterns of God’s Infinite Abundance and Eternal Peace will be easily established as the order of the day on the New Earth.

The most important thing Lightworkers can do to accelerate this process of healing is to focus our attention on the new patterns of Abundance and Peace. The Beings of Light in the Realms of Illumined Truth have given us wonderful invocations, visualizations and decrees to assist us in doing just that. These gifts from On High are designed to help us keep the focus of our thoughts, words, feelings and actions on the Truth of what is occurring instead of on the fear-based patterns of our broken global economy.

Please join in consciousness with Lightworkers all over the world as you empower the patterns of perfection for our global economy and for the New Earth. Go within to the deepest recesses of your heart, and join in one-pointed consciousness as you invoke the full Divine Potential of God’s Infinite Abundance and Eternal Peace.

• September 27, 2008, 12:17 pm Lunaea

I was having similar thoughts this week, Beth, as I listened to fire-seeking planes circling near my house. I was thinking about the great PBS/BBC series “1940s House” where a family re-enacts what it was like in England in WWII. That family, especially the mother, comes to have such a profound gratitude for simple blessings like being able to buy groceries or to sleep through the night without having to run to the air raid shelter. Even as I felt fear listening to the planes overhead, wondering where the fire was, I felt such gratitude for NOT having to live in fear like that most of the time, if that makes any sense. Even in fear, I was thankful for not living in fear.

• September 30, 2008, 8:53 am Madeline

I’ve been catching up with the past few days of your blog, Beth. How beautiful. Both this post and the HIEROPHANT card for the week. I,too, believe a spiritual practice, rituals, perhaps giving into a particular spiritual lineage as you mention, is a powerful way to thrive in these times..

And GRATITUDE: SOOOOO essential to my own spiritual practice. I like how you remind us that ACTION must be paired with it.

Yes, simple blessings.. food, a warm blanket, a pet, a phone call from a friend, a day without air raids..

Americans are only now waking up to the abundance we have taken for granted..as we relinquish some of it we will come to appreciate what’s really important..

Blessings to you!