Tarot Card of the Week: The Persistent, Unwavering Light on the Mountaintop

If you can see your path laid out in front of you step by step, you know it’s not your path. Your own path you make with every step you take. That’s why it’s your path.
~ Joseph Campbell

This morning, in the dawning of the Lunar New Year, the Year of the Fire Monkey, Lunar Imbolc, and the New Moon of Aquarius, I was extremely curious about which card would open the way for us.

Sometimes when I pull my card, it’s a long, silent process, with me getting only the faintest responses or else second-guessing myself until the very last moment.

Not today. After smudging the room with both smoke and sound, and a visit from Cally the Calico, who runs and hops up on the sofa next to me every time she hears me shuffle the cards, I spread my trusty 1972 deck in my usual fashion.

Card of the Week

And, as sometimes happens, one card fairly glowed at me.

I always make at least three passes before I choose, so I did, but it was as if every other card had dimmed its lights, and this one sparkled and sang to me.

So lo, and behold, here we have The Hermit yet AGAIN!

Not only is it once again our Card of the Week, as it has been once a month for the past three months, it is our Card of the Year.

And now it appears again, only two weeks after its last visit. This time, it is the card that heralds the Lunar New year, and to initiate this New Moon cycle, too.

Since I have already written at length about the more traditional basics regarding the meaning of The Hermit (you can read about those here and here), today I simply ask you to consider these points:

This potent combination of Chinese New Year, the New Moon, and Lunar Imbolc is very auspicious for new beginnings. What seeds of your desires and intentions will you bless? What long-term vision is revealed when you raise your lantern and gaze across the Winter landscape?

The Hermit’s gifts for you as you choose your next steps cannot be understated.

The Hermit is the soul of integrity. He takes the higher road in all dealings, and lives with quiet simplicity. Who in your life offers this? How are you being called to cultivate these qualities in yourself?

Do his repetitious visits have an urgent message about our need for quiet, reflection, and vision journeys? I am sure he would advise us to disconnect more often from the constant harangue of media, opinions, selling, and news.

My good friend, Barbara Moore, was recently prompted by repeated visits from The Hermit to make a life-altering decision. You can read about it on her beautiful blog.

Do we need to join her? It’s not a choice for everyone, and I am the last one to pass judgment.

But after what happened to me last Summer, I am far less enthusiastic about the world of social media, and have watched with consternation as my own addictions have crept back up again. I have several media breaks already on my calendar for the year. But I may need more repose than just a small time-out here and there.

What about you?

Take the High Road

Whose beacon is a steady light and inspiration in your life? How are you the inspiration and the truth-teller in your own circles?

Immersed as we currently are in political drama, which candidate(s) would you say embody the wisdom and non-conformity of The Hermit?

The Hermit is a natural teacher, meaning that on every step of his path, he is learning and sharing. But he also learns best from his experiences in the natural world. His life’s journey is a sacred pilgrimage into the Mystery.

What studies will you begin, or deepen, with your Imbolc dedications?

What path are you making, and what pilgrimage or spirit quest is calling to you?

Hold your lantern high, and know you are both the seeker and the light within.

• February 8, 2016, 1:47 pm Ellen

I was forced offline by laptop issues from early on Christmas Day until Fridsy just passed. I have 281 Facebook friends, about half of whom I know personally, and many who live within 50 miles of me. I received three phone calls to inquire as to my health, and tht was it. I voiced in my writing group this question, Is my importance in your life only as relevant as my last post? I am revamping my online life, Beth. And it may be drastic. My retreat taught me much.

• February 8, 2016, 5:37 pm Beth

Wow. That is disheartening, Ellen. Blessings as you make this thoughtful decision.

• February 8, 2016, 9:52 pm kd

I LOVE how the Hermit keeps coming up! His persistence makes me stop to consider what his message may be, and I love your interpretations as guidance.

I find in this political year that being on social media is very draining. I know who I support and why, so reading all those who are debating each other, or arguing, with put downs and scathing attacks…well, it’s too much. I’ve closed off links to many people I once exposed myself to on social media.

On the other hand, there are some social media pages that I find so uplifting, with real community spirit evident. I recently began eating a diet that is whole food/plant based, and social media connects me to others who are doing the same. This is important as no one in my family or among my friends eats this way. If it weren’t for this virtual community, I would feel quite alone in this venture.

The Hermit’s lamp is speaking to me about what lights me up. Food that nourishes instead of harms my body or harms animals is one such light for me. So is the support and fellowship of all those sharing their journey with me. I’m removing myself from discord on social media, as it seems to injure my spirit, and I’m sticking with what lights me up.

I’m so glad the Hermit came to see us again — I love meditating on what this means!

• February 9, 2016, 8:40 am Beth

Oh, that is SO beautifully said! May your light continue to guide you wisely and well — you are in inspiration!

• February 9, 2016, 2:18 pm KR

Beth, Your words are truly hitting home with me.
    “What new path in your life now calls to you? What dedication of heart and soul is appropriate? He shows us how to step outside of the herd, climb up the mountainside for solitude and clarity, and look off in the distance for understanding.”
    After living in Charlotte for 49 years (my entire life) it looks as if my husband’s work will be moving us to the Cary/Raleigh area. Yes, it’s only 3 hours from Charlotte but I never lived further than 30 miles from my immediate family and certainly not far from my adult son. So yes I’m looking for solitude and clarity and understanding to follow that new path you speak of. Perhaps this move gives me the growth that I most need. Perhaps it brings me closer to more like minded people (I can finally meet you at the bookstore .. Yay!) And perhaps it’s a fresh place for hubby and I to continue to grow and nurture our marriage. So thank you for all the insights of the Hermit. Being a 9 Life Path he speaks to me constantly.
    On another note … Ellen, I am so sorry you had to experience your Facebook issue but it can be truly enlightening. Every January I clean house so to speak in regards to Facebook. I set the intent in 2009 to surround myself with only those people that supported me and lifted me up. Why then would I not implement the same practice with Facebook? If someone hasn’t commented, liked or messaged me within the last year then it shows me they have “Friended” me just to have another friend in their tally. It used to hurt me until I realized I had control over my Facebook page. UNFRIEND became my friend. Many Blessings to you all!

• February 10, 2016, 8:01 am Beth

So many beautiful insights, KR. I can’t even imagine how strange it must feel to move away from the place you’ve lived your whole life.

But sometimes, as you have intuited, the plant needs to be transplanted to a different container, if she is to flourish and continue to grow. (And, yes, selfishly, I am excited it’s to MY neck of the woods!).

I also like your idea of an annual clean-up on FB. Already, I am becoming much more picky about accepting friend requests. If I get one from someone I don’t know, and their other friends indicate they are just collecting as many Tarot people as they can find, I pass.

Blessings and hugs to you, and to everyone! I love that The Hermit has so much resonance!