Vows to Brighid

Imbolc Brighid © Wendy AndrewBlessed Woman, come to me
Woman of the Fires, Woman of Poetry
Blessed Woman, come to me
Woman of healing, Woman of skillful means.
~ Song to Brighid,
from the Alexander Carmichael Carmina Gadelica
as arranged by Lisa Thiel

Today we celebrate the beautiful gifts of the saint and Divine One, Brighid. For many, many years, I have been dedicated to Her as my most intimate, beloved Goddess; it is She who cloaks me in Her inspiration, Her love, and Her protection.

To learn more about the history and gifts of this powerful Celtic Goddess, click here.

But instead of re-posting what I’ve said before, I feel called to share a sort of State of the Union assessment, as this is the time when we make our dedications and vows for the coming year. I hope you will forgive the less than feel-good tone here.

Because I can’t help but sense the global pain in this time of tremendous stress and change. And I know you feel it, too.

Getting Real

The economic disparity in countries around the world continues to climb to staggering levels unprecedented in our lifetimes. Unless it is mediated towards more fairness, this is almost certain to trigger widespread trouble.

Meantime, the wars in the Middle East drag on and on. The American involvement appears to be background noise to many of our people, until IS attacks someone we care about, or another American vet suicide grabs local headlines, or a PTSD sufferer goes on a rampage.

But in areas like here in North Carolina, where there are huge concentrated populations of veterans and active duty soldiers, the toll of these wars is in plain sight every day.

While thousands tweet about Bruce Jenner’s sex change, and our own deeply corrupt leaders go about their business as usual, the multifaceted march of environmental ruin continues to threaten life as we know it.

And don’t even get me started on the shocking way that bald-faced racism is somehow okay these days, and is gaining the upper hand in places and policies where it should have been dead and buried long, long ago.

So what does this “Debbie Downer” litany of problems have to do with the Goddess Brighid?

St. BrigidHeal All Wounds, Heal All Ills

On this, Her own day of celebration, when we reach out and embrace the Goddess’ gifts of renewal, healing, poetry, and fiery power, it is time to walk the talk and act in Her name.

Jonathon Larson, in Rent, once said, “The opposite of war is not peace, it’s creation.”

This culture’s ongoing obsession and glorification of war as “normal,” or as any sort of satisfactory means to redress wrongdoing is long obsolete. Whether it’s suicide bombers, or nuclear missiles, as Isaac Asimov pointed out, “Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.”

The men and women who serve in the military may be heroic in their personal sacrifice, but the policies and decisions that put them in harm’s way are not.

It is increasingly obvious that in the 21st century, we are intertwined together by technology, economics, and the environment. This increasing interdependence cannot help but destroy the archaic geopolitical definitions of “us” and “them.” While we should honor and celebrate our diversity, to war over our differences is, given the expense and the devastating weaponry, unacceptable.

Let us call upon Brighid to help us awaken and live fully as Her powerful stewards of our Mother Earth, and as Her champions of creativity, wisdom, and healing.

Peace Making

This year, Brighid reminded me that I have, for years, posted this on my website:

My passion is to work for compassionate social change
by tending and spreading the flame of Creativity.

I am charged to renew this vow, and make tending these Fires my priority. I believe the flames of Brighid are the antidote for war and so many of the other woes of humanity.

So for the coming year, I shall warm myself at the Forge of Brighid, the Source of Creation itself. I vow to continue to receive and celebrate the divine creativity of Brighid, so that I, in my own ways, can spread Her flames.

Will you join me?

Let us promise to deeply absorb and be blessed by the intense, magnificent beauty of our world, so that we can more truly reflect it and share it in our art, our actions, and our very way of showing up in our lives.

With Her blessings, let us join together as Her creators, healers, and peace-makers.

In the name of the Bright Arrow, Brighid, blessed be.

• February 1, 2015, 1:15 pm Ellen

Once again you resonate my soul. Blessings, blessings for us all midst the myriad upheavals in this time

• February 1, 2015, 1:20 pm Beth

Thank you, Ellen. I so appreciate knowing I’m not the only one.

• February 1, 2015, 1:56 pm judy

Thank you for these words from your Heart, Beth.
    May it be so that the Divine Feminine will save the us.

• February 1, 2015, 2:27 pm Angela Magara

Yes, to all you’re written. I too serve Bridget. As I work with Fire this year, I will place myself by the Forge.

May Creativity plow a furrow to sow peace.

• February 1, 2015, 3:31 pm judy

I just noticed that a slip of the keyboard has me saying “save the us” I meant to say “save us” ..though “save the US is okay too!

• February 1, 2015, 5:37 pm Beth

I noticed that, too, Judy. Yes! All of us, and the US, too! 🙂

• February 1, 2015, 7:27 pm Sharri Gaines

Beth, I applaud your candor AND your compassion regarding the often deeply heart-breaking condition of our world. Brigid’s spirit has come to me in the recent past, urging the fires of creativity to be expressed and courage to speak up for the vision of a world that supports nurturing life and healing of all sorts. I vow this day, with you and many others, to be a vessel for this work. BLessed Be.

• February 1, 2015, 8:34 pm Mary Dean

Thank you, Beth. Yes and yes!

• February 1, 2015, 9:06 pm Loran Hills

Yes! “My passion is to work for compassionate social change
    by tending and spreading the flame of Creativity”. I also tend and spread the flames of kindness and compassion.

Thank you for your words. The world is in a mess for so many reasons. It can feel overwhelming and frightening, but when I read posts like this, I feel renewed hope for the future. We all need to shine our lights upon the solution which is to be found in the beauty of our world.

• February 1, 2015, 11:16 pm libramoon

Goddess’s Way

With passion!
    Outpouring elixir fills our mythic spring.
    Sparkling flame of peace abides within,
    licks battle wounds.
    Not ignorant fools;
    no pleas for altruist beliefs.
    Relief of hunger completes us.
    No cunning deceivers could ignite malice,
    steal our good.
    Unbalanced need reaches to heal through
    magical interchange.
    Energies when well-purposed, understood,
    replenish, undiminished.
    Why meanly measure
    scores in morality play at “who deserves”?
    Healthful work, flowing contribution,
    bestows focal point for cyclic rain’s reward.
    Fortune’s gift, this benevolent wishers’ well,
    replete Goddess blessing.
    Sacred vessels,
    dip in for contentment, good will, joyful
    self-regard.
    This is not belief or even knowing.
    This is breath of awe in motion.

• February 2, 2015, 9:19 am unkljohn

Beautiful as always, Sweetie! You speak volumes. Blessed Be!

• February 2, 2015, 11:04 am Beth

♥ ♥ ♥

• February 2, 2015, 9:54 pm j'Etana Brighidsdottir deGaia

Glorious, powerful writing that resonates deeply with this woman, whose “circle surname” is Brighidsdottir. She is my ancestral Goddess (at least of those freckled parts of me that are from some unknown “Scotch Irish” ancestry), and my “Ista Devi” (chosen aspect of Goddess) for my very eclectic, mostly solitary, spiritual “tradition.”

I renewed my priestess vows last night, vows signed in my own moonblood when I was 42, “born again” to the Goddess. Now at 65 those vows are as meaningful as they were when I was young and seeking a way to live “the goddess life,”–and, as you wrote, even more needed in this world.

I am so glad that Ellen sent me the link to connect with you, Beth Owl’s Daughter. Merry Meet, Sister!