Tarot Card of the Week, November 3-9, 2014: An Unprecedented Blessing and Warning

As you may expect, I am very mindful when I pull my Monday Card of the Week. I always cast a circle and greet a host of Guides, Guardians, and Allies. I engage with the astrological and sacred energies of the current Time.

I welcome my own personal Helpers, as well as those I feel are especially supportive of divination, Tarot work, and the Ancestors whose lineage I belong to, as a seer.

I pray for help, so that you, dear visitor, always are given the right card for the right time; so that all seekers who find their way to my website may receive the very best guidance for whatever is needed, for the highest good of all.

My original 1972 deck and the silk scarf my mom gave me for itI have a ritual for casting, calling, shuffling, and choosing that I have been doing for many years.

I am never casual about this work or how I proceed with it.

So I did my usual “thing” this morning and was very clearly shown the card to pull for this week that features the Full Taurus Moon, the Cardinal Grand Cross that will come into play this week, and this week’s astronomical cross-quarter of Samhain (when the Sun is at 15° Scorpio).

Happy surprise: it was The Sun.

So I thanked all who gathered with me, picked up the cards, and wrapped them in the scarf I’ve used for over 40 years, ready to put them back on the shelf and extinguish the candle.  But then I glanced down, and there was one card, off to the side of the layout cloth, face down. Huh? How did that get there?

That has never, ever happened before. I honestly can’t tell you how it came to be separated from the spread I use for the Card of the Week, much less slipping off to the edge unnoticed while I wrapped up the deck. But there it was.

And what was this card, arriving under such mysterious circumstances, to interact with The Sun?

Looks like it could be a rather intense week.  Returning for the first time since right before Pluto moved into Capricorn in 2008, it was a visit from The Tower.

The SunThe Tower

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth…
~ Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken

This week, it would seem we have before us a profound choice, two roads we might travel. We are offered divergent options as explicit and powerful as anything I have ever seen.

There seems to be a toss-up between faith and collapse; joy and destruction; the realization of the soul, or the suffering that will force such a realization, the hard way.

The Sun

Keep on the sunny side
Always on the sunny side
Keep on the sunny side of life;
It will help you every day
It will brighten you on the way
Keep on the sunny side of life.
  ~ The Carter Family

Interestingly, this card last visited us at Samhain, 2011.

One of the most joyful cards in the Tarot, The Sun heralds victory over the challenges of the “night” cards preceding it in the Major Arcana.

So when we next reach The Sun in the Tarot story of the Trumps, we have emerged from our work with the shadow-self, and are ready to make the transition to liberation.  In the Fool’s Journey, The Sun celebrates that our lessons through the dark have brought us at last to the light.

Yet this is precisely the time of year when we enter that our journey into the Underworlds. Samhain marks the final descent into the darkest time of year. It is the beginning of the period our European ancestors knew as the Wild Hunt, a time of danger and chaos. The gloom gathers, the dark slide towards Winter Solstice hastens. An interesting juxtaposition.

Once The Sun dawns after the trials of the night cards, the path ahead becomes clear, simple, and straightforward.

The Sun itself is depicted with alternating straight and wavy rays.  This is an ancient way of representing the “philosopher’s Sun,” and illustrates the Sun as the source of light (straight rays) and heat (wavy rays) – illumination and warmth, the life-giving energies.

In a walled garden of sunflowers, a smiling baby rides a white horse. The flowers, which would normally turn their faces towards the Sun, are gazing instead at the child of light.

The happy child suggests that after all is said and done, the mystical journey of the soul requires a return to childlike innocence. Like the open and upward-facing posture of The Fool, the little child rides with arms open wide in trust.

In many cultures, the white horse is a benevolent, protective spirit guide, or even the beloved and powerful Epona, horse Goddess of Gaul and Rome. The absence of reins or saddle resonates with many ancient carvings of Epona and indicates a complete integration of will and surrender.

Good wins the day, when we go forth in perfect love, in perfect trust.

Whatever dark journey lies before you, like the light of Eärendil, may this be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Because evidently, we are going to need it.

The Tower

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.
  ~ John F. Kennedy

The Tower, probably the least pleasant of all the Tarot cards, has insisted that it must also be our card this week.

Although we humans are not usually fond of being stricken by sudden, irrevocable change, sometimes it is as necessary to our liberation and growth as enjoyable experiences. Sometimes, even more so.

The Tower is explosive, abrupt, often painful. Traditionally, it represents misfortune, violence, betrayal, and loss. No, this is not likely to be very much fun.

The complex, disturbing image of The Tower has many layers of meaning; from the overthrow of someone who has abused their power, to the downfall of those who have been too materialistic or aloof, to the destruction of certain beliefs, illusions, and perceptions.

It may remind us of the Tower of Babel in the Judeo-Christian traditions – which was struck down when their God was angered by the arrogance of humanity, leaving mankind in a chaos of foreign languages.

It may also be like the lightning bolt of insight that struck Siddhartha Gautama as he sat beneath the bodhi tree.

My own experiences with The Tower over the decades have been equally complex. But given the current state of affairs, this week I see it as a lesson in tough love.

Often, in order to shield ourselves from some unpleasant part of reality, we insulate and rationalize. The Tower is the hand of Love that strikes down that which enables us to remain in our comfy, deadly prison of denial.

We build our gated communities, we lock our doors, and look the other way. We tell ourselves we don’t need to change the status quo, we just need to be able to carry guns in public. To hell with old people, poor people, sick people, women, children, immigrants, public education. Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

We can frack and drill and make a ton of money while we’re at it. And all you polar bears, climate change bleeding hearts, peaceniks, and environmental Greenies can just be damned.

We cultivate and tolerate fear and hatred for the outsiders — the “others” who don’t look, or worship, or own stuff, or love like we do.

The Tower is a warning that if we refuse to let go of the fears, attitudes, habits, and relationships that thwart our growth, the Universe will make us do so. If we will not get ourselves unstuck, we will get pushed. Perhaps pushed very hard indeed.

If we refuse to open our hearts, the Universe will break them open for us, for opened they must be.

The Choice

Note that even as the lightning strikes The Tower’s crown of worldly power, and the fires burn, and the people fall, in the air there are Yods, symbols of the Word of God. This downfall comes by the command of Divine Love. This act of destruction is also an act of creation.

Change is coming. A revolutionary rebirth is at hand, one way or the other.

With both The Tower and The Sun, all hiding is gone. Profound truth is revealed — either by painful shattering, or by the natural daylight where no shadow can be. Which do you prefer?

Perhaps you are voting in the American elections. Or you may live elsewhere. Wherever you are, there seems to be a knife’s edge choice ahead that will resonate, not just politically, but karmically.

This strange, unprecedented reading points to a moment that may echo, either individually or collectively, as a turning moment for many years to come. Whatever you do, or do not, will have huge implications.

The Sun beckons us to live honestly, simply, and to shine with the joy that is the birthright of the human spirit. Happiness and goodness are choices we can make.

But if we try to remain in our towers of false power, fear, and separateness, change will be imposed, probably painfully.

Rise up, rise up, my beloved friends.  Take the high road, and embrace Life with all your heart.

The Tower, like an opportunistic villain waiting in the wings, may yet be avoided. If you are reading this, I ask you to heed this opportunity and warning.  Let us ride forward together, not one step back.

Let us radiate the goodness of life, without prejudice, in all we do, all we decide, and with all we’ve got.

• November 3, 2014, 3:18 pm Saffron

How strange indeed!

• November 3, 2014, 4:00 pm Beth

This is perhaps one of the most serious, fraught readings I’ve ever gotten for us.

And yes, I was utterly shocked when I saw that card, face down, on the edge of the table. I’ve had “jumpers,” or other dropped cards, etc. But never something like this. It was like someone pulled it when I wasn’t looking (except I NEVER wasn’t!!) and was waiting for me to find it, AFTER I’d so carefully put the deck away and all. I have chill bumps again just thinking about it.

• November 3, 2014, 5:24 pm kd12

I too find it so interesting that it comes when we in the U.S. are heading into political elections tomorrow. Many of us face a choice between the light and the dark forces. My home state is particularly embroiled in a gubernatorial battle funded on one side by some deeply misguided yet extremely wealthy individuals (Koch Bros. Inc.). It was powerful how you wrote about our denial of the rights of others by referring to Dickens’ Scrooge, using two of his most chilling lines from A Christmas Carol. I see the tarot’s tower image as a symbol of crushing fear. Fear keeps us in the dark, and love is the only light that extinguishes such darkness. So your two cards are such a story for us this week! Thank you again for all you do to help enlighten us going forward…tomorrow, I’m voting for the Sun:-)

• November 3, 2014, 6:26 pm Angelica Jayne Taggart

First thing I thought of was the vote tomorrow – and how both sides are fighting to be on top … maybe the lesson is that if our chosen side doesn’t win, we might go through the anguish and fear of not winning, yet we need to breathe into it, abandon being afraid, and KNOW that in the end, there is an Infinite Intelligence at work here and all will be well, yes, all will be well.

• November 3, 2014, 6:56 pm Beth

• November 3, 2014, 7:06 pm Rachel

Maybe its not a choice a one or the other and divergent path? Why can it not be both?

The Tower, while destructive, ultimately is a liberating force to free us of what we have been chained to (the Devil). With liberation, even though it may be initially painful and difficult, comes freedom and joy. Just a thought.

• November 3, 2014, 8:20 pm Sage

I, too, see them conjoined. And while the vote this week is omnipresent, there are those of us awaiting important determinations by (fill in the blank) or whom have already jumped from the tower as recently as this morning that need to see/feel this information. My husband is awaiting serious medical information. A coworker suddenly quit after 14 years. To name a few. I am grateful for your process, Beth, as it STILL allows for the Mystery to enter. ~ Sage

• November 3, 2014, 8:51 pm Terry

Wow Beth! What an amazing, perfect, Scorpio~Samhain~Full Moon message of the Divine Plan in the midst of great upheaval and change!

What a great affirmation of the intense energy gifts of both the Divine Sunlight and the Divine Lightening rods during this amazing time period of Humanity’s transformation. It seems humans are taking turns being the midwife or being the “birther” for Humanity during this re-membering time of Humanity with their Divinity~ and re-membering time of Heart Connections to the Divine in all Life.

We can be those midwives anchoring these intense energies in co-creation with the Divine, so that those giving birth, in all its messiness and destruction, their souls do not lose sight of the Divine Plan, no matter how veiled or un-formed it seems at the moment….

Thanks for such a powerful reminder that we are all in this together… all are united in the Divine… and our choices in each moment of now matter greatly…

• November 4, 2014, 9:43 am crowsfoxes

Dear Beth, thank you for this. First thought that came to me was ironically from the Torah — “I have set before you life and death, blessing and curses — choose life.” Or more aptly perhaps from JK Rowling — “It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” May we make those wise choices today as we vote — remembering that we affect the generations that stretch out after us.

• November 5, 2014, 1:39 pm Amy Simpson

I didn’t read this until just now. It’s stunning.

In something that I read by Shirley MacLaine, she describes how we mostly learn through “bad things” or pain, but that it isn’t necessary and we can teach ourselves to learn and grow through joy. In contrast with the *people* who were elected yesterday, nearly all of the progressive referenda–increasing the minimum wage and legalizing marijuana–were successful. It looks like maybe we’re doing some of each?

It’s partly by her logic that even though I lament what I see as negative developments (generally; not just today’s), I’m always mindful that the worse things get the stronger may be the drive to rebel–to risk our incomes, our relationships, our comfort zones to stand up for what our hearts know is right.

In the late 1980s a friend told me he thought the 1990s were going to be a lot like the 1960s, something he was looking forward to because he’d been too young to experience the 60s; I hoped so too since, although I was the right age, I’d been living on a different planet at the time. It was only days later that I encountered Marilyn Ferguson’s *The Aquarian Conspiracy*, which pretty much predicted exactly that. I continue to think she was right on target with everything but the timing. 😉

Off to the ramparts?

Peace & hugs.

• November 6, 2014, 12:28 pm Dana Dreaming Spirit Bear

Beth as I read the card(s) of the week I thought I had an original idea, that the Sun & Tower were really working together as one message, but then I read all the comments and realized I was tapping into an energy picked up by everyone above me. So with my heart and soul in the Sun I gladly leap from the Tower as the lightening strikes, knowing I am ready for the change coming and knowing the change is necessary for my self growth and evolutionary development..

• November 6, 2014, 12:44 pm Beth

• November 7, 2014, 12:34 am Micha'ele

just want to say thank you for such a beautiful reading! I felt the cards as being one message, but for the happening of our world and then in my own life. Different problem same solution or outcome. Thanks again…keep doing what you’re doing!