Tarot Card of the Week – Nov. 21-27, 2011: The Lovers

Each of us literally chooses, by his way of attending to things, what sort of universe he shall appear to himself to inhabit.
~ William James

Gracious! We are on the most powerful streak of Majors I have ever seen in all my years of presenting the Card of the Week. This week, after The Sun, The World, and Death, we are making it a full month of Majors! We welcome (for only the second time ever), The Lovers.

Also this week, the Sun leaves the sign of Pluto-ruled Scorpio, moving into fiery Sagittarius, and we celebrate the darkest Dark Moon of the year (the last before the Sun’s rebirth at Winter Solstice). The New Moon also brings us a solar eclipse. And many of us will also be traveling to join family of blood or heart for our great festival of giving thanks.

Into this context, The Lovers calls to our higher nature. It shines before us with all its hope, beauty and love.

On the surface, The Lovers is often assumed to point to matters regarding our romantic love relationships. And often, it does. But this important card of the Major Arcana is more truly about making choices.

In fact, in some older decks, such as the Tarot of Marseilles, The Lovers depicts a man standing between two women, evidently deciding whether he will succumb to darker temptations, or choose a more respectable (but perhaps less spicy) relationship.

In the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, there is no dark temptress, but a more mystical scene, suggesting the choice made in the Garden of Eden. The woman gazes heavenward, the snake and the tree behind her; the man looks to the woman.

Presiding over this moment is an angel, sometimes identified as Raphael, but (based on what we know of the Order of the Golden Dawn’s rituals), it is probably the solar fire angel, Michael.

Thus, the R-W-S deck broadens the message of The Lovers to be, not only choices about a particular relationship or social situation, but how, who, and why we love.

As most students of the Tarot know, the opposite card of the Lovers is The Devil. In fact, in the Rider-Waite-Smith deck you can see it is the same couple in both cards.

The Devil of the Tarot enslaves through fears, habits and self-sabotage. The Lovers are free, aware, and without shame.

We create our reality by how we choose and “attend to things.” Like The Lovers, when we give ourselves with our open, passionate hearts, we are Divinely blessed.

Therefore, to whom and how we give our love can reveal the deepest truth about who we are. Who is allowed into our most intimate presence (and why) shows the extent to which we respect, trust, and honor ourselves.

This week, the Universe may be offering you a very important choice. It may be about a relationship, or something else that you care deeply about.

To what or whom do you give yourself without fear or reservations? What would you choose if you had no fear, but simply a heart overflowing with joy and trust?  What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

To make wise choices about your relationships, ask yourself honestly – do the people in your life behave as if they truly value the love that you give? Do you value what you give?

And who returns this deep love to you equally, without qualification or conditions?

You deserve no less that what you offer with all your splendid, loving heart.

May Love bless us all.

• November 21, 2011, 12:34 pm Ellen

This is a very powerful message to me. Choices are too easy to make at times, we glibly point and click and nod our assent then realize we have created a conundrum for ourselves. The hardest choices are the darkest choices at times, and then they give us the most insight and growth.

• November 21, 2011, 2:43 pm Acquafortis

I agree with Ellen. This is a very powerful message. As my mentor says there is always a choice in everything in life even if sometimes it is very difficult to see or to act upon.

• November 21, 2011, 2:50 pm jamye

WOOOOHOOOO!!! :o) What a great capper to this Major month! I have been feeling so grateful that my life is so full of Love with friends, family and fulfilling work that I don’t have a void for relationship, but here it comes anyway, adding more joy to the mix!

I particularly love this reminder, “What would you choose if you had no fear, but simply a heart overflowing with joy and trust? What would you do if you knew you could not fail?” Thank you!!!

• November 21, 2011, 5:41 pm mel

“You deserve no less that what you offer with all your splendid, loving heart.” Exactly !
    It’s equal or nothing. Everything starts within. To love others, I have to first love myself 🙂

• November 21, 2011, 7:21 pm Beth

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥!!!

• November 22, 2011, 10:32 am Laurel Massé

Hi Beth –
    Though Michael is important in the Golden Dawn rituals, I think the angel in the Lovers card is more likely to be Raphael, the angel of healing. In the Bible’s apocryphal book of Tobit, it is Raphael who brings together the lovers Tobias and Sarah and tells Tobias how to help her be rid of a demon who had killed her previous husbands – or to put a modern psych-slant on it, ruined previous relationships.
    Tobit is a juicy book, worth reading whether or not one is involved in a mainstream religion.

• November 23, 2011, 10:25 am arie

If I neutralize the intellect/logical thinking I see the angel with his/her hair as flames with the sun behind.
    Wings are Red – fire.
    Surely the element of Fire is involved.
    The Lovers are attracted to each other by Passion, again Fire.
    The Winged ones, who we call Angels, predate monotheistic religion. They are mentioned in ancient scripts of Assyria, Babylon Mesopotamia, India and Norske traditions. They could be Goddesses or Gods. This ancient information has been lost in time.
    Many Goddesses where prortrayed with wings.
    Both the Snake and the Apple are sacred in ancient traditions.
    But one thing is sure. They can be related to the Elements.
    At the core East/Air = Life, South/Fire = Light, West/water = Love and North/Earth = Law. In the center you have the pillar of light connecting the fire/light of the underworld to the stars. Does this sound familiar?

• November 23, 2011, 12:40 pm Beth

Wonderful perspectives, you two!

And blessings to all who now receive the healing gifts of The Lovers.

• November 28, 2011, 6:17 am Kate

You know, I have been getting the Devil in so many of my readings this year, so to finally see the Lovers, even though I did not draw that card for myself, it is a relief. I have felt trapped by many things of late, and of course, I know that all I have to do is throw off those paper shackles….perhaps this new year I will find the way to do just that….thanks!