Happy Birthday, Leo

I just feel like sometimes I’m a force to be dealt with. My talents are sometimes overused and also sometimes underused.
It’s not easy being me.
Ben Affleck – Leo (Aug. 15, 1972)

Today, the Sun moves into the sign of Leo. The famed Lions, so the tradition goes, are “on” 24 hours a day, showing off and behaving like the sexy superstars they often are. Of course, there really is more to Leo than this cartoonish version.

While it is true, astrologer Jon Cainer reminds us, that Leos can be a bit over-the-top, and subtlety often escapes them, they are also very human, imperfect, and even (sometimes) downright insecure. It’s just that they sometimes have trouble believing they are as frail as the rest of us, so it is difficult to show their vulnerable side.

Leo is ruled by the Sun – so they naturally shine, and leadership is as natural to the healthy Leo as air. Characteristically, Leos are warmhearted, very creative, outgoing and bubbling with enthusiasm. They positively purr in the limelight and can be gifted actors. However, they must guard against believing themselves infallible, and watch out for a tendency to be pompous, patronizing or dogmatic.

For the rest of us, the Sun’s annual return to its traditional home sign is a time to explore and joyfully come to life with courage, daring and panache. Taking risks of expression and creativity mean you have to reveal your true self, and that’s exactly the point.

With the Sun in Leo, this is the ideal time to be more open in what we show to the world, to balance our logic with playfulness, and allow our hearts to lead the way!

• July 23, 2011, 11:07 am Arie

That’s me with birthday on the 13th. Acending, Jupiter and Moon in Sagittarius. Sun, Mercury, Saturn and Pluto in Leo. Venus in Cancer, Mars and Neptune in Libra, Urunus in Gemini. Too much Fire…

• July 23, 2011, 12:09 pm Gem

what i know from my experience with leos is that when they’ve been personally wronged by people, they, in turn, don’t dignify them. its spiteful but what i noticed is that being humanitarians, that dogmatic nature they sometimes have often stems from their love for people and not always their own insecurities…when i’ve been wronged by a leo friend, i usually find that I’m not just doing wrong but I am being wrong. i guess humility and a little introspection never hurt anyone though

• July 23, 2011, 12:16 pm Susannah

This is, without a doubt, my almost-11-year-old daughter (Aug. 14, 2000) TO A “T.” Very, very challenging, and very, very fun and creative. OY!

• July 24, 2011, 2:02 am CJ

@Gem Astrology columnists are so fascinating, how they’re so influential without having empirical evidence to back any claims. I mean this is too convenient to label a zodiac sign as dogmatic, and insecure. Having problems with a Leo? Don’t worry he or she is in the wrong (stems from his or her insecurities)! Oh wait, does that Leo feel justified in his/her position…don’t worry leos are dogmatic, and pompous like that.
    If someone did you wrong, and you feel bad it’s self-imposed. Surround yourself around fun well intentioned people who dedicate their life to actively helping others and not to people who live off the loss of life of others. Ive never met a shyster at a bar that was genuinely happy with himself just like i never made a caring friend at a charity that hadn’t made my journey more exciting and fulfilling.
    If you do this and then mistakes (which you’ll do) How you are interpreted by new others won’t be a priority. Youll move on because you know your greater purpose Why dwell on what you can’t control anyway, that’s totally taxing.
    Balance logic and playfulness in a real way.
    I mean Beth charges $100/session..more than what many professions make that are directly saving lives. A case of Leo with too much pride maybe?

• July 24, 2011, 6:03 am Susannah

In response to CJ – Isn’t it about the value we derive from any service we receive? And isn’t value completely subjective and personal? I have not received a tarot reading from Beth yet, but I have received many intuitive readings from others. For me, the value for me has always come from having someone creatively mirror back what I probably already know on a certain level. The ego cannot attach to more than one story at the same time, so one way to release myself from the attachments of my ego, is by hearing an old story of my life situations in a different way. This, to me, is one gift of a great Tarot reader (or intuitive, or medical doctor, or psychologist, or teacher, or….)…Anyone who can help nudge me into looking at my life in a more symbolic, wholistic way, brings value to my life. As far as the entry about Leos… it was not intended to be the final word on anyone born between July 22 and August 22….there is so much more to reading a natal chart than just looking at the sun sign….and anyone who knows Beth through her blog, knows that every month, she writes a little summary of the sun sign. What I like about this particular entry is that she asks everyone to consider ways everyone can bring the essence Leo energy into their lives.

• July 24, 2011, 8:00 am Maria

My BFF is a Leo (turning 90 this year), and she is a woman who has been through the fires of life and come out stronger. She is amazingly positive, loving, accepting, and generous. She has somehow integrated the best of her sun sign. I want to be like her when I grow up. 🙂

• July 24, 2011, 10:55 am Beth

Hmmm.. what a strange turn this has taken.. I can’t help but notice that month after month, when I post my Happy Birthday message to the Sun signs, there are almost never any comments. Interesting, isn’t it, that Leos (and those that love them!) have lots to say! 😉

CJ – I am unclear as to your point or who exactly you are attacking.

“@Gem astrology columnists” ?? . Ummm.. who might that be? Or astrologists in general? Well then, you are in the wrong place and you need to move along.

Obviously at the end you decide to go after me, not knowing much about me.. including the fact that I am NOT a Leo, dearie. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but personal attacks on me are NOT welcome here, and I won’t allow it. If you must, start your own blog and rant away.

Bottom line: I don’t know what kind of point you are trying to make.. it is so garbled, I really thought it might just be bot-spam.. But I will ask you to please refrain from commenting unless you have something actually coherent and/or cogent to say.

We now return to our discussions of those luscious Leos!

• July 25, 2011, 8:32 pm mel

Jonathan Cainer is one of my favorite astrologers. Many times scarily accurate and yet always positively encouraging.
    Thanks for the insight 🙂 what a positive card the Chariot with the Sun in Leo. This week hopefully I can see progress.

• July 26, 2011, 5:52 pm mel

Sharing a good one from Cainer : “Remember the old Monty Python sketch about the man who went looking for an argument. That was very funny. Sadly, there’s nothing quite so amusing about the folk who do it in real life. There are plenty of them. We all know individuals who just aren’t happy unless they are complaining, carping, criticising or courting conflict. It’s very tricky, when we encounter such characters not to stoop to their level. It is as if they create a vacuum that draws us in. Stand back from unnecessary negativity.” Thanks for all your insights Beth I wish you a good month of August !

• July 28, 2011, 1:56 pm judy

Give me a “B”.. give me an “E”.. give me a “T.. give me an “H”.. Yaaaay Beth! You tell ’em girl!

• July 28, 2011, 2:34 pm Beth