A Brief Detour and Disclosure

May we be receptive to your supreme intelligence and become strong.
~ The Samaveda

In July, we are now poised to enter into our conversations about the themes that are ruled by the Seventh House. But first, a slight detour, if you will indulge me.

For the past week or so, I have been somewhat surprised to find that I am on becalmed waters.

Not because of a lack of things to do. On the contrary, I should be busy gearing up for the Fall launch of my next series of classes, both in-person and through teleconferencing.  I have a deadline looming for my next article for The Meta Arts Magazine, preparations for my teaching session I’ll be leading with the Gaian Tarot Circle in a couple of weeks, and a myriad of other tasks and projects sitting on my desk. Some of them fairly urgent.

And yet…nothing seems to be happening.  Is this the dreaded resistance?  Self-defeating procrastination?  Depression?

I told myself, okay.. Maybe I just needed to take a few days off around the Independence Day holiday.  I did.

Then maybe I could do some long-term strategizing for the coming year or two, as I am very definitely feeling some fundamental shifting going on in my practice and how I intend to serve in these changing times in which we find ourselves.

And with the appearance of The Magician this week, I thought – okay! Here we go!

But instead, I still find myself on hold. I find myself dragging my feet, in maintenance mode only; not really wanting to start anything new.  I sit down to my planning worksheets .. and I turn away. Instead, I feel a deep hush inside my spirit, as if waiting for something.

And what’s funny about this, is that during this same past week or so, my friends and my clients have been echoing the same theme:

Can’t seem to get the old engine to turn over… None of my customers seem to want to come back from out-on-holiday mode… Indecisiveness… Absent-mindedness… Seem to have lost my motivation and drive… Things feel flat… Stale… No one is returning my calls, and frankly, I am relieved…

How about you? Do you feel a sort of stasis right now? Is it just me and a dozen or so people who have confided in me, while everyone else is in high gear?  Is it just lazy Summertime?  Or something else?

Here’s what I am coming to believe, having heard the exact same theme at least three more times from different people yesterday alone:

I didn’t think the first two of the recent eclipses impacted me all that much, especially compared to how they clobbered some of my dearest friends.  Sure, I felt .. something.. but nothing dramatic.

But the one last Friday? Maybe it was the cumulative effect, combined with the others, or maybe it was because of the double Cancer (Sun and Moon in Cancer) influence, since my Sun sign is Cancer.

But it felt exactly like a complete re-boot of my systems. And I am still waiting for everything to come back online. What I am pretty sure of is this: this shutdown and restart was a part of a complete system upgrade.  (Can you tell what a computer geek I still am, even in my old age??) .

I am eager to see how my new operating system is going to function, and already I am seeing some new features and enhancements that look pretty exciting.

But it’s not time to test-drive just yet. The whole package is still firing up.

I’ll have some more to say about this tomorrow, including how I think The Magician (which is my Soul card, by the way) fits into this.

I hope you don’t mind these personal confessions, before taking on the next House discussions.  Thanks for hanging in here with me.

• July 7, 2011, 12:56 pm judy

Very insightful, Beth. Listening to our own gut feeling about these things is best, I think.
    For me… It’s summer and a part of me wants to be at a lake, laying on the rocks in the sun, exploring, picking berries, swimming when I’m hot, eating when I’m hungry. My body seems to follow nature and the animals.. you won’t see many productive animals in the heat of the summer.. it’s just not a time for that. We humans go against nature in some seasons and deep summer is one of them.
    When we were kids, summer was for play. School’s out, fishing, swimming,playing in the street is in.
    There are things to be done for sure.. but I am trying to also honour that part of me that wants to splash in a wading pool!!
    P.S. having grandchildren helps with that!

• July 7, 2011, 1:00 pm Regina

Ok… I just sat here at my keyboard for about 3 minutes, just staring at the white comments box, trying to find a way to say “ME TOO!” in the most enthusiastic way possible.

Honestly, I am feeling this “waiting” in every cell of my being, too. I’m trying to work on things (new website, classes, etc.), but it’s like something is telling me not to finish it up, because something is going to arrive shortly that will change everything or be the missing puzzle piece.

I keep getting hints and clues from the Universe – dreams, comments I overhear, the Magician card this week (!) – that tells me that something is up. But I have no idea what!

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one waiting for their operating system to come back online! 🙂

• July 7, 2011, 1:16 pm Susannah

I appreciate what you have shared, Beth. Thank you. Here’s my version….first, some context: For the first time ever, I find myself alone and free from work (my kids spend the summer in FL with their dad, and I have the summer off because I am a teacher). I am taking good care of myself – lots of yoga, fresh food, walking, some naps, visiting friends. On July 3rd I felt a sore spot on the bridge of my nose where my glasses rest. I thought I was getting a pimple, but it never popped out. July 4th after yoga in the morning, I touched around my lymph nodes on my neck, and they felt sore, and there were spots on my face that were sore to the touch too. I also noticed swelling under my right eye. I woke up on the 5th, and there was more swelling, and it had moved to my entire nose and under my left eye. Long story short, after a couple of visits to the ER, some IV antibiotics and some very strong oral antibiotics, I am on the mend. I do think deeply about biology and biography, but this one has me questioning why this and why now? It has sort of forced me to “lay low” for several days. I never thought of it as a re-boot, though. I like that analogy a lot!

• July 7, 2011, 1:57 pm Colette

I have been feeling the same.. I have to push myself to even leave my house to get basic necessities at the store.. I thought it was me.. I don’t even want to read, just play computer games and watch endless news.. I find myself thinking that something must be about to happen.. Neither good nor bad, just something in the air…
    On another note, I am waiting with anticipation for your next round of classes to begin.. I keep thinking that is what I need to lift myself out of these doldrums….
    Feel better everyone…
    Colette

• July 7, 2011, 2:22 pm Carey

Yes, feeling it all here too, but thankfully when the “time between time” was wearing its depressive outfit, it only cared to wear it for a day or two, once out of that, and with the help of this photo from a lake which lives in my heart
    I’ve aligned my energies with that early morning, still, calm, over the lake which if you can still yourself enough, you can sense the gentle hum of anticipated action just on the cusp of emergence. After that I felt better, ready and a vital part of the “not happening yet”.

Thanks for sharing your pause with us, and Blessings to all of you in the “wait’ as well.

• July 7, 2011, 8:59 pm Susan

Dear Beth,
    I think many of us have come to a grinding halt. We are be-ing instead of do-ing. When I saw the Magician (also my soul card) I was geared up to soar! Instead, I am sitting in the fullness of stillness. The moment feels ripe with whatever is coming, but has not arrived yet. So I wait, without excitement or anticipation, not because I am not excited to see what is on its way, but because stillness is just enought right now.

• July 8, 2011, 12:28 am Saffron

My soul card is The Magician too! Can’t wait to learn more… 😉

• July 8, 2011, 7:44 am Dawn

We humans seem to have a tough time simply Being because we’re so caught up in Doing. I have been on the run since the beginning of June. Once family flew back mid-West, I’d hoped to have some lazy days, but the tasks are relentless and dogging my everyday. I need solitude and Do Nothing Days. It could be a time for you to just moodle about in your creative space ~ write poems instead of prose. See what happens. Maybe you don’t need to “gear up” in order to get those other important things done, but meander into them. Like dipping toes into a cool stream and delighting in the current. Just my little thoughts. I try to Do Nothing as much as possible.

• July 8, 2011, 8:50 am Beth

You all are absolutely BRILLIANT! All I can do is chuckle and say yes! Yes! YES!

• July 8, 2011, 10:30 am jamye

Completely agree. Even based on ceremony that I participated in around all the eclipses, this one was far more powerful energetically, enhanced by the intensity of the Cardinal Grand Cross as well. The solstice was a whamo, too. Woohoo! Since this last eclipse I have felt a lot of physical and emotional transformation. Dealing with it hasn’t been exactly fun, but I’m glad for the profound shifting that I know is occurring beneath the surface.

I was glad to see the Magician card, but I remember my previous experience with it being one of trust and patience rather than physical action. When the indication or even inclination for action would come, it would be swift and easy. Except maybe the patience part! And even with needing some patience, change was actually rather fast.

Thank you for sharing this, Beth. It soothes me to know it’s so prevalent among others.

• July 9, 2011, 11:44 am Lynn
  • July 9, 2011, 1:46 pm mel

my natal Sun is in Leo. So when the Sun transits Cancer starting approx. Jun 22 every year, I always feel the need to step away from everyone and everything. I feel that way more lately because Neptune turns retro and it is a major planet in my chart. Another major planet will turn retro soon is Uranus. Saturn did retro but didn’t affect me much other than past effort recognition. Pluto is still retro so it’s a good time to introspect and recharge anyway. August is usually a good time to resume speed, but with so many go retro : Mercury, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto and then Jupiter at the end, some things will still be on hold. I kind of like it, for once in a long time, summer really is ‘lazy days’ for me.

• July 9, 2011, 3:59 pm Maggie

Hmm, I know the feeling. I feel I’m in “maintenance mode” like you mentioned. It has been like this for awhile. At first I was anxious about this situation; then I just started to enjoy the slow time and stopped questioning what was happening. I have to say, I started to enjoy and find meditative, the simple tasks of daily living. I feel a great sense of calm and have few worries. I know the wheel will turn, and I plane to take these lessons forward with me on my journey.
    Cheers and Blessings,
    Maggie

• July 9, 2011, 11:35 pm Tara

Wow! Thank goodness for your blog! I thought I was going completely insane…I was expecting the Magician energy to bring in a woosh of air in the sail to move me to the next scene… but alas, there is no wind…
    I was beginning to wonder why the basic daily doings such as grocery, post office felt like SUCH a HUGE drain and drag? Why do I not want to get out of bed AT ALL? Something must be really wrong… Even my kitties are lounging about longer than normal… lazing about as if they dropped out of the sky and landed splat on the rug where they remain for hours and hours…

Kicking the sugar here too and settling in to the stillness before the change that I too feel is right around the corner.

• July 10, 2011, 9:22 am Maria

Me too, Tara, me too! I have a history of depression, so I thought the lethargy was that sneaking in. But I feel content, healthy, HAPPY, even. Why am I being so lazy? Grocery shopping and a Walmart run all but killed me the other day — I napped when I got home. Projects are started and not finished, my blogs are not getting regular updates. I spend most of my time reading or sleeping, or just sitting in the yard thinking about nothing in particular. I’m enjoying the stillness.