A Plentiful Sufficiency

Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them…he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?”… And God said, “I did do something. I made you.”
~ Sufi Teaching

Yesterday, I talked about the shadow side of ownership. (And was a bit surprised no one had any comments?)

So plunging forward with this admittedly uncomfortable line of thinking, today I would ask you, what if, for just a little bit, we could consider that all of our institutions, as well as our entire history around money, security, “enough,” poverty, scarcity and plenty are based on lies?

And what if, really, they were simple and there were only three of them?

Imagine – three big falsehoods that cause all of the deception that keeps most of humanity in fear and struggle.

According to Lynne Twist in her revolutionary book, The Soul of Money, this is indeed the case.  Here they are:

Toxic Myth #1:
There is not enough.

Toxic Myth #2:
More is better.

Toxic Myth #3:
That’s just the way it is.

Can you see how, connected together, they are a vicious circle that would close like a noose around us?  The widespread assumption is that there is not enough to around, and we’d better grab the biggest piece of the pie as we can, because that’s just how it is and always will be.

If our governments, laws, and even religions are built on these premises, and entrench these beliefs, after centuries, we take it for granted that the human world does function this way.

So how can we even know these are lies?  The first step, of course, is to consider and then examine them. And doing so, Lynne then thoroughly deconstructs each one in her book.

But for starters, let’s just consider this.. As you know from my past discussions about money, lack is not really how Nature operates, is it? Yes, there are feasts and famines in Nature. Ups and downs and unpredictable change, not just an orderly continuum of seasonal cycles. Death and cataclysm happen.

But if there is any one thing you can say about the non-human world, it is lush with abundance. There are over 350 species and subspecies of parrots. Parrots, people.

There are 370 species of Sea Bass. Not “fish,” not even “bass.” We’re talking sea bass!

Did Mother Earth quit after one or two hundred different kinds of oak trees? No. How about three? Four hundred? No.

There are over six hundred species of oak trees in the world.

Diversity, fertility, creation and more creation and yet even more. Over-the-top abundance is the name of the game in Mama Gaia’s world.

So where did humans get the idea of scarcity and lack? That’s a long story, isn’t it? In fact, to answer that, you could just recite all of human history.

But for right now, I invite you to consider that if Nature is the norm around here, and human intervention and tinkering is a recent and rather artificial construct, then is it possible that maybe, just maybe – there really is enough to go around for everyone? And (here’s the kicker) there always was?

Lynne declares, “Scarcity is a lie. Independent of any actual amount of resources, it is an unexamined and false system of assumptions, opinions and beliefs from which we view the world as a place where we are in constant danger of having our needs unmet.”

And then, both in her book, and in her later work, including her Soul of Money Institute, she backs this statement up with fact after stunning fact.

So here in the Second House, we are invited to take a long look at our attitudes towards owning, possessing, keeping and letting go of things in the material world.

How would your life look, how would it change, how would you feel, if you knew there could always be a balance of plentiful sufficiency?

• February 25, 2011, 11:24 am Maria

I’ve had an interesting lesson in “lack.” I grew up with most lectures from my dad ending with something like “you’ll end up living on the street like Uncle Willie.” I also grew up in a home where, although we had enough to eat, there was a great deal of neglect. I have spent my whole life terrified of lack — and at the same time, living a life of struggle based on my belief that lack was my portion.

So recently, I quit my job. I have some money coming in through temporary disability, but I’ve had to tighten my belt a bit. I have no idea what I’m going to do for work. But even with the uncertainty, I am still MUCH more at peace than I ever was working in a group of highly toxic people. And I have enough. I have more than enough, actually. Another pair of shoes did not make me happy. Being the captain of my own ship does.

• February 25, 2011, 11:37 am Beth

Ah! Beautiful! This, folks, is the REAL “Secret!”

• February 25, 2011, 1:15 pm judy

At the times when I let go of lack consciousness as I realize the truth of flowing abundance… I am most relaxed, free from fear, doubt and worry. If only that could be my norm.. I’m working on it.. at least it’s more often now.
    First time I came upon this Truth was when wire-haired dachsund number 2 was getting old and I was following her around fretting and grieving already. At some point I realized(with sacred help, I’m sure) that there was a wonderful dachsie girl before her and there would be a wonderful one after her, and that.. as long as I wanted it so.. there would always be a wonderful dachsie in my life. It was an everflowing abundance that was part of who I was in this earth walk!
    Now I am on wonderful dachsie girl number 4 and trying to remember to apply this basic truth to many other parts of my life.

• February 25, 2011, 1:53 pm Regina

This is so huge, I don’t even know where to start! Like some others have mentioned, I too grew up in a family that perpetuated the idea of scarcity & lack. All I ever heard was “there’s never enough.” It’s been an on-going struggle to over-ride that program of lack and to grow the belief that there is plenty! Not easy, when the whole world around you is screaming that there’s only so much, and we all have to fight & struggle for it. But I refuse to buy into that any longer. (No pun intended!)

I will definitely read the book you mentioned, Beth – The Soul of Money. Sounds incredible! Makes me think of another book which I read a while ago that really helped me to change my inherited notions on money: “Money is Love – Reconnecting to the Sacred Origins of Money” by Barbara Wilder. It’s a short book (only about 85 pages or so), but absolutely wonderful.

• February 25, 2011, 4:20 pm Della

Love the phrase Plentiful Sufficiency 🙂

• February 26, 2011, 12:33 am Jade

A sister in Wicca just introduced me to Owls Wings tonight – and I’m thrilled with both content and comments! I will share it with others that I know are living on “intellectual islands” as I am! What a delight! Blessed Be!

• February 26, 2011, 6:44 am Arie

As one who loves spending my free time in nature, I find it more difficult to reach a virgin spot not yet exploited by humans, here in the ancient land of Canaan (Israel).
    It is geting harder to find a clean well or spring to drink from.
    Water is the basic element for life.
    I could wander in the few areas of nature left and eat leaves, roots, fruits and fish. I could make my own shelter or live in a tent. But then I would loose any contact with fellow humans.
    Or I could try to find friends and together buy a piece of land and create a self sustainable community. We would need though a clean source of water. The catch here is to BUY land which is becoming more expensive.
    The problem in my view is that natural resources are getting scarce due to excessive exploitation. Systems of power are controlling almost all resources. World’s population seem to have reached the maximum growth point. When this happens to any species, they get almost extinct and only a few remain to start the cycle again. Technology can pospone this effect for a while for the wealthy countries.
    We have become so dependent on the modern way of living, that it is very hard to free ourselves from centuries of brainwashing.
    Blessings.

• February 27, 2011, 5:55 am gina

Thnak you for your pearls of insight and its so nice to find others that are on the same journey and I am learning so much on my Know thy self journey. Thanks for the food, the abundance the community and most of all thanks for nature and creation.