In Gratitude for Autumn

Blessed is your gift of Autumn,
which we celebrate now:
The cooling and the clearing,
Swirling, falling leaves of gold and crimson;
Birds on the wing,
Frosty mornings,
And the harvest gratefully gathered in.

These are the words I use when I give thanks for the gifts of Autumn with my prayer beads.  I love it when I am actually in the Autumn and giving thanks, probably because it is my favorite time of year.

I admit that there are times (like this year), when I am strangely reluctant to say goodbye to Summer.  There seems to be little rhyme or reason why.  For all logical reasons, with this being yet another of our ongoing string of hottest Summers ever, you would think I would have been glad to see it end.

But I wasn’t. I am not often melancholy, but there have been quite a few goodbyes lately that I am feeling more deeply than usual.  So I have been sorry that the cicadas in the daytime have ceased; I haven’t seen a hummingbird since Oct. 6; and the last rose has come and gone.

Yet since the New Moon last week, I have felt it all shift, and the heaviness of my heart has melted away. At last I am very glad it is Autumn!

Of course, it is still early yet.  We are still having days here in North Carolina that are flirting with highs around 90°.  That’s about 20° F higher than normal.  But though days are still toasty, they are not Summer’s oppressive clinging damp, and the nights are chilly enough to close the windows.

The geese are calling in the early mornings.  Despite being a bit ragged due to the drought this Summer, our deciduous trees are still managing to show some color; by next week, they should be quite pretty. And I can feel the magical call of Samhain on its way.

Apples.  Orion soaring across the dark skies before daybreak. Mist on the river.  Woodsmoke and crunching leaves.  Nurseries full of pansies and bulbs for fall planting.  The golden slant of the sun in the late afternoon.  Owls calling in the night.  A deep stirring restlessness and memories of long ago.

Huge, lacy spider webs glistening in the trees.  Pumpkins and chrysanthemums decorating front porches everywhere.  The nearness of the Ancestors.  Pulling out flannel shirts and wool socks.  Skies full of migrating birds.

Please share with us — what do you love about Autumn?

• October 12, 2010, 1:51 pm Maria

Soup! As soon as the weather starts cooling off a bit, I begin to make soup pretty much every week. I just love it!

• October 12, 2010, 6:20 pm Beth

Oh yes! Good one, Maria! What are your favorites?

btw – it seems a little odd – Do you suppose that you and I are the ONLY people who like anything about Autumn?
    😕

• October 12, 2010, 9:09 pm Carey

Oh! I’m here and I love absolutely everything about Autumn! I love the deep plum of the early morning sky and the crisp and sparkly night sky. I love cinnamon in the oven, and hot water bottles at the foot of my bed, and hauling out the knitted sweaters and smelling them. Oh! and I love coffee in the cool morning whilst looking out at the golden and scarlet leaves. and for the first time seeing the steam spiraling off the top of it. Shall I go on? I love the honking of Geese, and the frenzied busy-ness of the squirrels, and I even love when acorns pellet me from overhead. The smell of the first fireplace when it catches my nose out on a walk. I love, love, pumpkin pie. Most of all I love the feeling that all of Nature is blessing my desire to get cozy and get busy making things.

My favorite time of year, it sings to my heart.

Blessed Be~

• October 13, 2010, 12:20 am judy

Watching the leaves freefall to the ground where they can burrow in and become part of the tree once more.

• October 13, 2010, 1:12 am Athene Noctua

Oh, Autumn is my favorite season. I like the deepening darkness at the end of the day. The cool of night. Sliding between, soft, cozy flannel sheets (Lands End is my favorite for those), and rainy days. The wind and rain storms that blow into the PNW. Pumpkin pie, molasses cookies, and Cranberry Autumn tea. Love making pot roast w/ lots of carrots, potatoes, and garlic-and soups-nice hearty soups w/ crusty rolls or artisan breads. Crunchy leaves, and a huge sensation of abundance, bounty, and change. Halloween is my favorite day. I decorate the house, read scary stories, watch Johnny Deep in Sleepy Hollow or From Hell, or a classic like Arsenic and Old Lace, and read lots of good paranormal mystery books. Also, read tons of Halloween books to my kids and some books on the history of Halloween, such as Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts by Edna Barth. Last, but not least the costumes and candy. A day to dress up as someone different. Yep, it’s the best time of the year.

• October 13, 2010, 1:46 am Athene Noctua

One more thing, my favorite October song “Werewolves of London” by Warren Zevon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRu8N2K0NY I love to blast it and howl along.

• October 13, 2010, 9:25 am Beth

YES!!! 🙂 Oh yes to all this!
    And Warren Zevon’s Werewolves of London – what could be more fun to howl along with??

Speaking of songs, I keep hearing christmas songs in my head, only, “It’s beginning to look a lot like Samhain,” and Andy Williams singing, “It’s the most magical time, of the year!”

I love these lists, y’all! More?

• October 13, 2010, 5:08 pm kendraro

I’m here too, Beth, just a day behind, but grateful for your words all the same! Fall is my favorite season too, I love that special Carolina blue of the sky and the gold in slant of the light in the afternoon.

• October 14, 2010, 3:38 pm Cathy Larson Sky

I love the sweet potato pancake mix, from NC, that I found on the Blue Ridge parkway in the shop at Crabtree trail. Essence of fall and orange cinnamon taste. I want to have pancakes to celebrate Autumn every day! Autumn is time for getting past the too-ripe feeling of late summer, and feeling a quickening in my heart, like something wondrous is about to happen. Something bright and magical.

• October 15, 2010, 10:05 am Maria

Beth, I think I’m going to make a white bean soup with swiss chard this weekend. I also like making a Tuscan soup with lots of veggies, one I call “Friendship Soup” because it’s got carrots, sweet potato, spinach, celery, tomatoes, and I don’t know what all else so it’s basically a vitamin bomb and great to make for a friend who is sick or going through a bad time. (They WILL eat it no matter how upset they are. It’s GOOD.) Let’s see… Leek and Potato Soup, Potato-Cheese soup… the list goes on! 🙂

• October 15, 2010, 3:05 pm Beth

Yum! Your Friendship Soup sounds like one that is in my cookbook, called Rainbow Soup. It’s got lentils, sweet potato, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, and just about anything on hand. A vitamin bomb indeed! And the secret ingredient is.. oh wait! You might just need to buy my cookbook to find out! 😉

• October 18, 2010, 3:46 pm Maria

OMG, I am so glad I checked back! My BFF and her daughter (BFF is 89, I’m 47) are bigtime Deadheads! I NEED this cookbook for them for Xmas!

• October 19, 2010, 2:05 pm karen h winnubst

being quite computer challenged,i generally do not post any comments to items of interest-HOWEVER-i feel i must make an exception here ,as autumn is absolutely my favorite time of the year! always has been. living in n.c.tx.,there aren’t as many truely crisp days and the leaves at this point haven’t shown off their regal hues ,but there is that unmistakable feeling that pulls my attention toward the magick that seems to be heavier this season than the others. i feel as though i am a child awaiting a great surprise, anticipating with each day what may be revealed this time around the wheel. – light and love to all-

• October 19, 2010, 2:29 pm Beth

I am so glad that sweet Autumn seduced you into moving past your technological challenges! Thanks SO much, Karen for posting! I love hearing about Autumn in different places, and I so know what you mean about the anticipation for the peak of It All! 🙂