Walking With the Ancestors

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.
— Thornton Wilder

With this week’s New Moon that follows the celebration of the First Harvest, we now transition into the Fall quarter of the year.

“Fall?!?” you say.

I know, I know. Here in North Carolina, stepping from the air conditioning into the savage heat and humidity is like walking into a wall. I am sticky with perspiration just walking from the house to the car, or refilling the birdbath, which has been practically boiling dry!

Yet although it feels like ferocious Summer has decided to settle in and never leave, if you look closely, you will see a bronze tinge at the edges of some maples and sourwoods. Our oaks, dogwoods and sweetgums are looking decidedly spent, and there is heavy dew in the mornings that we don’t often see in high Summer.  The chrysanthemums and asters are preparing to show off their magic.

The Equinox is a little over a month away, and after that, the dark hours triumph.

As we enter this harvest season, there is much uncertainty in the human realms. The economic news is gloomy at best. Giant swaths of Portugal and Russia are apparently on fire, while Germany, Pakistan and China mourn thousands dead in floods.  There is so little commitment to the profound economic and political retooling that is needed to avoid global climate change catastrophe.  While the Titanic is sinking, our leaders continue to discuss how best to rearrange the deck chairs.

And yet.

Sweet Gaia turns, the Sun’s slant shifts and the harvests of grains, veggies, fruits and berries roll in. Like our ancestors, who faced challenges we today can hardly imagine, we gather what the bountiful, beautiful Mother has created.  And we give thanks.

In the days ahead, I invite you to join me as we follow in the footsteps of the ancestors, and give thanks for our bounty.  By realizing what we are given, by blessing and bestowing gratitude for all we have, we realize our true abundance. This is not wishful thinking, but deep knowing.

We now begin a journey of conscious, daily gratitude practice. I hope you’ll join me.

• August 12, 2010, 11:29 am Joanna

Oh yes, sign me up! Love what you’ve written here, even though we are not facing the kind of heat that you have. . . . I am grateful today for friendship with kindred spirits. 🙂

• August 12, 2010, 12:23 pm Della

Hear, hear!! Yes, let us give thanks for the enormous wellbeing and abundance in our worlds, on our earth. Focus on what’s going right and trust in the wisdom of Spirit for the rest. 🙂

• August 12, 2010, 1:32 pm Jeannie

What a beautiful way to look at things. Yes, lets focus on the positive and leave the negative behind.

• August 12, 2010, 1:49 pm Dawn

Thank You.

• August 12, 2010, 4:08 pm Carey

Gratitude. Thank you Beth. I’ve been reflecting on “harvest” and how sometimes what we harvest can only be seen with the heart, and not the eyes. For all of those things in particular I am deeply grateful.

• August 12, 2010, 4:09 pm Maria

Sounds great! Looking forward to it!

• August 12, 2010, 4:39 pm Jennifer

Lovely post, as usual, Beth! 🙂

• August 12, 2010, 7:42 pm Beth

I’ve come to believe there may be nothing more powerful and productive we can do that practice gratitude. Looking forward to this.

• August 12, 2010, 7:49 pm Beth

(the original Beth, here!)
    Wow! It seems that we are all longing for this. Thank you so much for your encouragement, everyone! I am looking forward to it, too!

• August 12, 2010, 9:54 pm Maggie Lukowski

I love the way you point to the subtle changes taking place in the transition from High Summer to Fall. Very magical and delicious! The Gaian Tarot’s THE GARDNER, came to mind when I read your blog. Looking forward to the journey!

• August 13, 2010, 7:05 am starwalker

Indeed… Here in Maine, even though summer is also still strong — and a dry one at that — I can feel the turning of the year when I arise at dawn. The sun gets up later, and there is dampness and a different chill in the air. I am planting for the late fall harvest and things to over-winter, if I can, thankful for the lessons learned in the gardens this year.

• August 14, 2010, 3:23 am Val

“While the Titanic is sinking, our leaders continue to discuss how best to rearrange the deck chairs.”

That is brilliant!!