Photo Essay of the Divine

It is my intention to present – through the medium of photography – intuitive observations of the natural world which may have meaning to the spectators.
— Ansel Adams

Today is the sixth anniversary of my husband’s pet project, called ‘Scapes.  He has been a photojournalist for the past thirty years at the News&Observer, the newspaper for Raleigh, NC.  His regular duties, of course, are photographing house fires, ribbon-cuttings, graduations, crime scenes, State Fairs, fatal accidents, sports, politics, funerals, and endless other news features.

But for the past six years, he has also had a bimonthly column on Saturdays, where he can share the visions of beauty and magic that he really loves.  His ‘Scapes column features the many faces of our Mother Goddess Earth, as well as the beauty of the everyday human world that we sometimes forget to really see.

To honor his work, the online site of the paper is running a six-year retrospective, a sort of online gallery.  Because of copyright issues, of course, I can’t post his work here.  But I do hope you’ll take a little time to visit this link and enjoy.

ps: Nearly all of the photos that are referred to as somewhere in “northern Durham County” are either here at our home, or across the road from us at the Little River.

• May 29, 2010, 9:45 am Della

WOW, WOW, TRIPLE WOW!!! I really love your husband’s work (could you tell? lol) I’m only about a third of the way through the photos and needed to take a break ~ it’s like a rich dessert, you need to stop along the way and just savor and digest. I enjoy this perspective on the world so much and it’s a lot of fun to find someone else who does also and who captures it so masterfully. Sign me up for the fan club!

• May 29, 2010, 10:10 am Joanna

Oh such beautiful work. Tell John I’m so impressed and give him a hug for me.

• May 29, 2010, 10:24 am Liz

The photography is absolutely amazing, very vibbrant and striking!

• May 29, 2010, 10:53 am Maggie Lukowski

Beth,
    Thanks for John’s link and the facebook link to share his work! I love the things that John captures in his photography. The scrapes and parts of the everyday images that we often pass by without noticing. We move so fast we don’t see the truly beautiful things in our world. It’s a reminder so move a littler slower, and look up, down and in all directions to discover what is here. I will enjoy looking closer at his photography this week and looking closer around my world as well.
    Cheers and Blessings,
    Maggie

• May 29, 2010, 11:16 am Otter

Many thanks everyone! What pleasure to read these wonderful comments. I am glad there are others out there who enjoy seeing beauty, nature and the little things that make up our magickal world.
    John

• May 29, 2010, 6:53 pm Karen P. in Ohio

What treasures these are! Thanks for sharing them!

• May 30, 2010, 9:39 am Carey

Oh what a delight that was! Exquisite surprises around each bend! Like bursts of radiant stars within! I had to give myself a rest before I got half-way through. Thank you so much for sharing these with us Beth! Thank you John! Carey

• May 30, 2010, 10:42 am Laurel

Hi John,
    These are such beauties, what a great eye you have:)

• May 30, 2010, 10:58 am Kendra

wonderful! thanks for sharing

• June 3, 2010, 3:45 am Julie

I gave the moon to my son Joe and often stop to just stare at it with amazement. You photographed it beautifully. We thank you! 🙂