Mercury Retrograde

The single biggest problem in communication
is the illusion that it has taken place.

— George Bernard Shaw

As the retro-experienced know, two or three times every year, the planet Mercury appears, from our perspective on Earth, to go backwards in its path through the zodiac.  Ever since April 18, this has been happening.  Mercury stations direct again next week on May 11 (and the so-called “shadow period,” when the lingering energies are still affecting us, ends around May 28).

As astrologer Rob Tillett writes, “Mercury rules thinking and perception, processing and disseminating information and all means of communication, commerce, education and transportation. By extension, Mercury rules people who work in these areas, especially those who work with their minds or their wits: writers and orators, commentators and critics, gossips and spin doctors, teachers, travelers, tricksters and thieves.”

He continues, “Mercury retrograde gives rise to personal misunderstandings; flawed, disrupted, or delayed communications, negotiations and trade; glitches and breakdowns with phones, computers, cars, buses, and trains. And all of these problems usually arise because some crucial piece of information, or component, has gone astray or awry.”

And while all this sounds dire, there are gifts to be discovered during this time.  It can be an opportunity to review the pathways we have taken, and a chance to consider a course correction of our life’s journey.  Not too shabby!

As I have talked with friends and colleagues,  I am hearing an overwhelming agreement that this retrograde has been particularly unmerciful.  In fact, I’ve lost track of how many people have told me, in identical terminology, “This Mercury retrograde is kicking my ass.”

For a number of years, I would attempt to make lemonade from lemons by offering a Mercury Retrograde contest every time we went through one.  I am not offering my contest anymore (I began to notice that by doing so, it seemed to be attracting an amplification of retro woes to me!), but I would love to hear how you’re enduring this particular go-round with the God of communication, technology and travel.

Feel free to post!

(If your computer is still working!)

• May 7, 2010, 7:32 am Theresa

Well no major computer or car woes but we’ve been stuck in plumbing hell! We got a few things fixed on the home – including two burst pipes in the kitchen sink but OF COURSE now the tub faucet leaks! We’re trying to do all this ourselves but now eyeing the plumber. LOL Never do home repairs during a retrograde. It sucks.

• May 7, 2010, 7:37 am Bonnie Clark

Definitely one of the toughest Mercury retrogrades I’ve experienced in a very long time… laptop crashed so the hard drive had to be reformatted & all of the software / files reloaded. Fortunately all of my files were backed up so I didn’t lose anything except time. Spoofing attack hit one of my Gmail accounts & another Gmail account was hacked & used to send SPAM. Really, REALLY looking forward to this retrograde being over.

• May 7, 2010, 7:43 am Nancy

One of my friends and I were talking yesterday about the many glitches that happened during this retrograde. Plus, as a Virgo (ruling planet Mercury) I feel like I got a double whammy! One thing I noticed was a) problem with my phone messages; b) a client thinking her appt was a day earlier than it really was; c) another client getting a 10 of Cups card and hearing that it was the 5 of Swords! d) and one client changing the time of an appt four different times! This retrograde has been a doozy!

• May 7, 2010, 7:45 am Carey

Being a Virgo/Gemini these retrogrades usually effect me and my own intellectual, more than my stuff. This particular one with the scorpio full moon right in it has had the effect of taking my thought space and sending me on some sort of time warp trip. As if the world has one pace and my thoughts are moving at another. I am not sure which is faster but they are out of sync. At first it was disturbing as I enjoy keeping a pretty organized ship thought-wise, and have a good firm hold on time, but after adjusting to this retro, it is as if I keep being given opportunities to think a thing or experience something and then time stops and in the warped space of this “trip” I can actually examine these thoughts or feelings before acting on them and if i should act first, then those actions or communications don’t go through and I get another chance to see things differently. (As if the cosmos say “Are you sure you want to say that, or think about it that way?”) It has been a really great time to change some of those habits of thought and communication and take action on, not just hear the guidance of my higher self. Of course, as would be expected, I am having trouble communicating here in words on “paper” what my mind is trying to say.

I am really looking forward to reading others experiences with this amazing retro.

• May 7, 2010, 8:57 am Dawn

This retrograde, I only had a few scheduling problems and all I lost was a hair dryer. It did have me a little nervous though. I’m still smarting from the retrograde of last spring, when my three year old car’s engine blew, ( a hundred miles from home. Had to rent a car for 2 months because Chrysler was in the middle of their bankruptcy, would not give me a loaner,and the factory that makes the engines was on shut down. ) my computer crashed,(finally bought the laptop I had been wanting) vacuum cleaner died,( got a Dyson, not impressed) DVD player bit the dust,(replaced it with a blue ray) lawn mower broke down(finally, something that could be repaired!) and my marriage of 29 years ended in a spectacularly public crash and burn.( First time living alone. Not so bad.) I am a Pisces with a Virgo ascendant. My Mercury is in Aquarius.

• May 7, 2010, 9:03 am Regina

This Mercury Rx is actually not that bad for me this time! (Dare I even say that!) Just odd little things that make me say: “Huh, that’s weird.” Like a glitch in our TV antennae that interrupted the picture on our TV one day, then the sound the next. It fixed itself, and we didn’t have to do anything. The only thing that I’m really noticing is that business plans have really slowed down, which is actually very good. This time is allowing us to re-think and re-organize… exactly what Merc Retro wants! So it’s all good! 🙂

• May 7, 2010, 10:21 am Maria

During every Mercury Rx I have trouble talking. Most of the time things come out all scrambled. I have issues with people not taking me seriously under the best of circumstances (I think it’s because I’m a Cancerian, and a lot of people confuse “compassionate” with “stupid”), and I work in a mysogynistic environment. Imagine the fun I’m having when someone is actually expecting me to express myself and gibberish comes out! Last week my voice disappeared for an afternoon.

My boss has been up to some shady stuff regarding my pay for hours worked – that just came to light this week and it has made me really accept that it’s time to move on. It’s like one day I saw the boss as a basically nice guy with some behavior issues and the next I saw what he really is – a dishonest, misogynistic narcissist. And there is no going back.

• May 8, 2010, 1:06 am Vivienne Grainger

This Mercury retrograde, I’ve been given the opportunity to revisit my decisions, good, bad, indifferent, or still causing pain. Some I have been able to see were necessary. One I am content to take the low road concerning, and accept the Threefold Return.

• May 8, 2010, 7:52 am Beth

Wow! These are amazing and range the whole gamut! I love that you all are finding ways to take the glitches as opportunities to discover insight and new understanding. That’s what it’s best for!

Those of you who were with me at the Readers Studio know the crazy Merc Rx story of our bus trip to Greenwich Village, but you might not know the interesting trip I had going home.

In horrible rain and fog, I left our hotel by way of the Queens Expressway. It was so harrowing that the seldom EVER words were uttered, “Thank heavens I am finally on the NJ Turnpike!!”

But then, I have NO IDEA how, I noticed that I was passing the Newark airport (where we’ve had RS in the past). Hey. That’s funny. I thought the exit to Queens was BEFORE the Newark Airport.

As the sense of doom grew, while I desperately looked for some signs of which direction I was going in (none!), I realized I was about to have to choose between the GW Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel! Accck! Sure enough, I was driving NORTH on the NJ Turnpike, not southbound for North Carolina! I still have NO idea how that happened.

A toll-booth guy saved the day, though, as I pleaded for help. My hero! He got me turned around towards home, just before being irrevocably sucked back into the city again!

The rest of it has been a comedy of mix-ups, crossed signals, having to re-schedule over and over, and so forth. So I will not complain, because it hasn’t been that bad. But that first part of my drive home was pretty intense!

• May 8, 2010, 6:08 pm Heather

this is compleatly off topic but I could use some good energy right now. A young great horned owl is injured and in my barn right now. I have help on the way but I would appreciate some good thougths coming his way that one he will get better and two that help will get here soon. Owls are a totem animal of mine and I care for them very much I thank you for any good thoughts you can send.

• May 9, 2010, 7:19 am Beth

Just seeing this, this morning, Heather. I hope help indeed came right away, and that all is well. Sending healing and blessings to Owls and to their human friends everywhere.