Enhancing Your Prosperity Qi

When we no longer have good cooking in the world, we will have no literature, nor high and sharp intelligence, nor friendly gatherings, no social harmony.
— Marie-Antoine Carême (“King of Chefs, Chef of Kings” – 1784-1833)

In the principles of feng shui, the kitchen is the fiery heart of the home, making the biggest contribution to our overall wealth and health. And the Qi in the kitchen naturally comes primarily from the stove, so its position and condition are paramount.

Ideally, it should be positioned so that the cook does not have her or his back turned to the main doorway. But for many of us, this is not the case, nor can we change it. Luckily, feng shui also provides a number of remedies for less than ideal situations.

For instance, one solution is to place a mirror on the back wall of the stove. Just make sure it is hung high enough so that it doesn’t “cut off” anyone’s head in the reflection.

Another possibility is to attach a 3- or 5-inch convex mirror to the overhead vent above the stove, or, if you have a microwave unit about the stovetop, you could hang it on the door. This adjustment will allow you to look up into the mirror and see the kitchen door behind you — and without the unfortunate illusion of your family member’s head being missing in the reflection!

In addition, you might want to hang a metal wind chime over the “cook’s station.” This pleasant remedy will offset any negative energy that may be coming in from behind you.

While it seems obvious, in feng shui terms, it is extremely important that you keep your stove clean and in good working order. Remember, more than any other area in our homes, our stove oversees our finances and brings in the Qi of prosperity.

One simple way to make sure that the flow of good Qi is steady and consistent is to circulate your tea kettles, pots and pans, using all the burners rather than one particular burner all the time. And be fanatical about keeping your stove and oven clear and clean! Make sure all burners and knobs are in good working order. When the fire (either literal, or as heat from electricity) is flowing freely through all the burners, the fire energy governing prosperity will be flowing in your favor.

Because of this, feng shui advisers suggest that if you double your burners, you’ll enhance your prosperity. No, you don’t have to get a new stove, although if you’re in the market, don’t skimp!

You can achieve similarly favorable results by adding a convex mirror to the area around the stove (or on the hood above the burners), making sure the burners are clearly reflected in it. This will turn your four burners into eight and double your wealth energy! To strengthen this energy even more, hang a metal wind chime over the area where the cook stands in front of the stove.

As mentioned before, this exact same procedure will also protect you from the less favorable Qi if your stove is located in a way that your back is turned away from the kitchen door while you are cooking.

If you’re still up for this (Hello? Hello? It sure is quiet around here!), I’ll have more next week. But tomorrow, and over the weekend, it’s time to turn our attention to our Ostara celebrations!

• March 18, 2010, 8:32 am Jennifer B.

I love the feng shui articles! Please keep them coming. They inspire me!
    🙂

• March 18, 2010, 9:28 am Kendra

oh, yes! you have cleared a lot up for me – and given me a lot to do! first, I must find some love for a stove I’ve been hating for a long time! If I can do that, surely teaching the menfolk to put their dirty dishes in the dishwasher will be a piece of cake!

• March 18, 2010, 10:17 am Mary

Thank you Beth for these feng shui articles!!! Yes, please keep them coming–they are weaving beautiful connections in my mind which hopefully I will be able to manifest in my humble abode!!! I love your blog!

• March 18, 2010, 10:55 am Susannah

LOVE THESE! Keep them coming!!!!! Thank you! The small chunks make Feng Shui not so overwhelming.

• March 18, 2010, 11:00 am Regina

This is awesome, Beth! Especially since I just started redecorating my kitchen! This is really helping me to stir up the good Qi in there.

• March 18, 2010, 11:28 am Matt G

I’ve been reading the Feng Shui articles with interest as well. I’m currently living in a “starter home” that is far from ideal – it will be a couple of years before we can upgrade but my wife and I are already going to open houses & such so that we can be sure that we will be happy with our next home for 30 years or more. These articles have given me a lot to think about!

• March 18, 2010, 12:09 pm Beth

Oh, well good! Not that I need constant reinforcement! But I love this kind of stuff, and I could easily find myself prattling on and on, never noticing there’s no one but me and the crickets… 🙂

• March 18, 2010, 12:16 pm Carey

Hi Beth. Ditto on the cheers for these articles. “Hooray! Hooray!” A little off topic from this post but from the last one -one thing which I’d wanted to mention as far as kitchen energy and cooking magic is that when you are preparing something – it is really fun to connect with whichever vibrant energy is in that ingredient. Drinking in through your eyes the green vibrant life energy of the salad greens when they are being swished in your bowl of sparkling water (washing); absorbing the radiant solar energy of the grains in your bread for a PB&J, or the luscious, juicy red, fertile energy of the strawberries. I find cooking this way brings a delightful energy to the kitchen, but gives me new sparkling energy as well – which I need by dinner time. (I am a especial fan of washing my dark leafy greens!)

• March 18, 2010, 1:10 pm Elaine

this is interesting info. I always use my 2 front burners on my stove, and hardly ever use the back ones so there may be some real stuck energy there. time for a change! thanks Beth!

• March 18, 2010, 1:14 pm Maria

My back and shoulders already feel better from the changes I’ve made here in the office. 🙂

• March 18, 2010, 4:49 pm Jadelyn

I’ve really been enjoying these, too. It’s helped me realize *why* the cardboard pile in the entryway – we just tossed boxes over there while we were moving in, and then never got around to breaking them all down and getting them out of the house, so there’s a mountain of cardboard boxes as tall as I am leaving only a narrow walkway from the door to the living room – is making me so cranky, well beyond what is justifiable as my reaction to an eyesore spot. Cause it’s mucking up the flow of the house, big-time.

I’m curious, re the kitchen feng shui, you talk about rotating your burners and not only using one all the time. What if you’ve got one or even two non-working burners (and can’t afford a new stove or someone to fix them)? Just rotate between the ones you have? How does that affect the qi of one’s kitchen?

• March 18, 2010, 5:16 pm Beth

Hey, Jadelyn! Good questions. Actually a real feng shui consultant (I am only a dangerous dabbler!) would tell you that you can’t afford NOT to fix them. But I totally understand that’s not always easy. I would suggest that you could temporarily remedy the problem by hanging a mirror as described, to reflect the ones that do work, multiplying their energy. Or the wind chimes might help. You might even have a pretty teakettle or something cover the out-of-order burners, so that they are decorative. A fire motif would be best: colors or something lively!

But these are really only temporary fixes. Feng shui would say this is a very unfortunate situation and it really is hurting your kitchen’s Qi. Perhaps it won’t be as expensive as you think to get them repaired.

We’ll all send you good energy so you can!

• March 18, 2010, 7:12 pm Jadelyn

Ooh, I like the idea of covering the non-working one (usually it’s only one, the second is sometimes working and sometimes not, depending on its mood apparently) with a kettle or something. Also because I love kettles. A nice deep crimson or brass one, perhaps. And I do love mirrors, too, so it would be no trouble to procure and position one over the burners that do work. Thank you for the ideas and help!