Tarot Card of the Week: January 4-10, 2010

Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart don’t know how to laugh either.
— Golda Meir

Oh dear. What can I say? I was probably as disappointed as you to have this be our first card of the new year. I am rarely tempted to “cheat,” but I admit that I was today.  Still, I am honor-bound to tell the truth, as Cassandra-like as it may be.

So, yes, challenges lie ahead this week. We have another three this week.  But this time, we receive one of the simplest, obviously unhappy cards in the Tarot. As one of the very few cards with no human figure depicted, there is not a lot to describe. Even a child can see that this is a card of tears, strife, and hurt. Three swords pierce a heart. Against the background of a storm, tears and rain fall.

This card sometimes relates to love triangles; but remember this is an Air card, meaning that its energy focuses on words, thoughts, ideas, communication, and intellect. So there may be sorrow and pain because of misunderstanding, gossip, false beliefs, or making a wrong choice. There could be a betrayal, or grievous words exchanged.

I also think of this card as how heartbreak can often be a message from our Higher Self that we need to open our hearts more. The Wisdom within us breaks our hearts, in order to widen our perception, cultivate compassion, and discover the importance of forgiveness.

You might begin by considering, then, from the detached perspective of the Swords, if there are emotionally volatile memories that are in need of examination. What relationships (current or past) need healing? In what ways might your emotional pain be in danger of taking over, resulting in the temptation to hurt or control those around you? What wounds need to be understood? What is the core cause of your deepest heart suffering right now? Who else in your life might be grieving, and can you help? What healing rains might bring cleansing, compassion and forgiveness?

Sometimes, the only way we will let go of that which needs to be released is if we are hurt by it. Unhappily, it sometimes comes to pass that our hearts have to break, in order to grow and move forward.

But acceptance and taking these lessons to heart brings an opportunity to learn, change and become receptive to something that, ultimately, will be far better for us.

• January 4, 2010, 12:05 pm athene Noctua

Oh Wow! This is right on target for where I am at this week. I will keep the lessons in mind. This is also probably why I feel so emotionally fragile. Not the funniest of cards, but it is the reality of life.

• January 4, 2010, 12:41 pm Carey

Ugh. My heart lurched when I opened this page today. I’d been having this card flash in my mind all morning- before logging on, and them blammy there it was in full view…Well, I guess the week will unfold as it will unfold and I’ll know more by the end of it won’t I?

• January 4, 2010, 2:19 pm Star

This card accurately reflects the feelings I and many others are having from the betrayal in Afghanistan where the 8 US civilians were killed by a betrayal of one of their trusted advisors – a doctor, no less! IMHO this is only the beginning for us (U.S.) if we continue to stand where we do not belong. May Peace Prevail on Earth and may we bring citizens home from foreign lands and wars.and use our resources to care for our own people.

Crying tears for PEACE!

Star*

• January 4, 2010, 3:08 pm Jan Langford

3 of Swords is my personal card for the YEAR !!
    🙁

• January 4, 2010, 6:02 pm denise

I must be the odd duck out with this one (eh, i’m odd no matter what!) but I have never seen the 3 of Swords as a negative card.
    I’m quite fond of the suit and 3 is a symbol of trinity. Yes, we might need to shed tears this week, but crying is a good thing…it washes away the pain and purges the poison from the soul.

• January 4, 2010, 6:14 pm Beth

Athene – “This is also probably why I feel so emotionally fragile.” Beautifully put. There is something in the air right now that feels .. poignant, like a great leave-taking. More than just the end of the Halcyon Days. Or maybe that’s exactly it, on a deep and ancient level.

Carey – I had the same reaction. But you know, sometimes the cards are not what is happening to us, but what is happening around us. This could be an opportunity to heal someone’s suffering, by seeing how deep their grief is.

Jan, this is interesting. This is your card of the year? How are you figuring that?

Star* – This is a beautiful read on this card.. If only our leaders would hear the real cries from the peoples’ hearts…on every side and from every point of view… And yes, this could certainly describe the nameless sorrow that sensitive people everywhere are feeling.

Denise .. you are so right! That’s why I chose that quote from Golda Meir.

Thank you to all for your thoughts on this. I hope you’ll continue to share with us as this unfolds in the coming days..

Other thoughts, anyone?

• January 4, 2010, 9:16 pm Claire

Thanks Beth.
    It’s good to have the head’s up, right?
    For me, personally I need to always be cognizant of what you say here:
    “In what ways might your emotional pain be in danger of taking over, resulting in the temptation to hurt or control those around you?”
    I’m much better at this, but again, the head’s up is good so I don’t even go there at all.
    Also Star: very good take on this. I agree.

• January 5, 2010, 6:05 am Rena

Hey, Beth, for me this is a wonderful card to show up. On the last day of ’09, I had a first meeting with a psychotherapist – it took a long time to line up something subsidized and good enough. Afterward, I felt like I’m wrapped in a cozy, warm quilt, like I’ve finally found a place where I can honor and express and be with the pain I’ve been carrying around. Can’t tell you what a relief that is. So for me, it’s about letting what is be, and being with it.

• January 5, 2010, 2:23 pm Arie

But Beth, of course there will be misunderstandings as Mercury is retrogade. 🙂
    So with this knowledge I will do my best to be aware of what I say to others. Be more sensitive and caring. At the same time obeserve the whole situation and not be hurt by words or actions in my direction. As most people really don’t know what the consequences of what they say may have.
    A Buddha smile on the face and everything is OK. 🙂
    May we all learn from this card.
    Good time to see Avatar. A very inspiring film with lots of messages. The world leaders should see it. But would they get the message?
    Love and Peace.
    Arie

• January 6, 2010, 7:23 am Madeline

Hi Beth–I am venturing back onto just the most peaceful and highly energetic web sites (well, for now, just yours..) I “used to” enjoy before our family’s stalking problem.I gain spiritual sustenance from your site! (And readings!) I have learned the hard way that many folks are not as they “seem” online!! What a great place fro crazies to hide/manipulate others! Enough said.

Owls wings is a peaceful place and I expect you see through the crazies..

The beauty and message of the EMPRESS year is a blessing! This week, the swords are reminding us to let go– not a completely negative message– Thanks for being a beacon of light!!

• January 6, 2010, 12:11 pm Beth

Nice to see you, Madeline, and thank you for your kind words!

Don’t worry; I will use my superpowers as moderator if anything unkind or unwelcome tries to ooze into our midst. I am very committed to this being a nest that is friendly, honest, and safe. Without being too sweety-sweet, I do hope people feel free to share their real, gritty truths here. But sniping or any nastiness directed at one another is not tolerated.

So be welcome, my dear!