Tarot Card of the Week, and Blessings of the Scorpio New Moon

Dark of the Moon
New beginnings
Dark of the Moon
Plant a seed tonight
Dark of the Moon
What we envision
Will come to be by the Full Moon’s light.

Ace of Swords

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
— Galileo Galilei

Now this is interesting. The last time the Ace of Swords came calling, back in June, was also on the New Moon. It was the New Moon of  Cancer, at Summer Solstice. Now we are in the New Moon of Scorpio. Both are extremely emotional, deeply intuitive water signs.

New Moons bring us new beginnings, as do the Aces in the Tarot.  Each Ace depicts the essential energy of its suit. Since the Swords relate to the intellect, ideas, choices, and the mind, the Ace of Swords points to new possibilities in the realms of communication, understanding, and judgment.

This New Moon is unusually potent, as astrologer Lynn Hayes explains. “New Moons mark the beginning of the lunar cycle, and they bring a fresh new energy to begin anew. The Scorpio New Moon brings us squarely into contact with the rawness of our feelings and emotions. Here we are naked; unadorned, unprotected – seeking the Truth that comes from total and brutal honesty…Our deepest emotions and painful memories are easy to access now and can be transmuted in the fire of conscious awareness and intention.”

There could hardly be a more powerful symbol of conscious awareness and honesty than the Ace of Swords. But these both seem, sadly, to be in short supply.

Every day, I talk to more and more people who, like me, cannot listen to the news for more than a few minutes without wanting to cry out, “Has everyone just gone completely insane? Are people believing all this nonsense? Did everyone take a stupid pill when I wasn’t looking?”

Last week in Singapore, international leaders failed to come to any substantial agreement about how to remedy the catastrophic climate changes we are facing. And hope is fading that anything much will happen at the desperately important Copenhagen meeting next month. They say it is too expensive to save our own lives. Are you kidding me?

This week’s card offers some antidote to this global hypnosis of fear and craziness. As individuals and communities, its power is in our hands. Our survival will certainly depend on clear communication, refusing to indulge emotional histrionics, and using our gifts of sense, reason, and intellect.

Both globally and personally, the New Moon is when we plant a seed, and the Ace of Swords is a seed of awareness. We may not recognize it right away, but when it begins to sprout, it could take almost any form – a compelling idea, an important conversation, the hunger for the truth, a call to justice, or a chance to be candid and honest.

Although Scorpio exposes our raw emotional side, this may not be the best week to make choices only from our feelings, but instead focus on the facts. What turning point or breakthrough could open new areas of clarity for you? Although the Swords often challenge us, what new ideas, wisdom, or information is now available?  In what ways are you being shown your own authentic truth?

Continually ask yourself what truth is being revealed, and notice what is being muddled.  Liberation, especially from deception, is possible. This is a time to keep your awareness wide open.  Although it may not be comfortable, pay attention, stay conscious.   Dare to see, think, and speak with honesty and clarity.  There is deep transformation and a new beginning calling.

• November 16, 2009, 3:50 pm Arie

Humm, lately I have been observing my own thoughts.
    It’s becoming stronger and stronger.
    Outside expressions come to my attention, thoughts evolve from that, sometimes into negative ones, I keep track and then I say to myself that these thoughts are not beneficial to me, and then it stops. Same with imagination. I drive home, imaginations of a possible positive future event come up, it goes on an on mechanicaly. I realize that these imaginatiions are keeping me from being aware. Once I realize it, it stops.
    I’m also becoming more aware of negative emotions like Jealousy, anger, fear, pride.
    Less energy is being wasted.
    Indeed something is happening out there. “I can smell it and feel it in the air”.
    Are you all also feeling some boosts of awareness lately? Like moving from automatic pilot to manual?
    By the way, late this night a comet shower is expected.
    Blessings
    Arie

• November 16, 2009, 4:26 pm Beth

Yes, a BIG boost of awareness lately; which is why some people are finally wigging out, some are frozen in fear, and some are going.. “Hmmmm…. Interesting..”

Also, yes a big comet shower tonight and tomorrow (see my posted poem about the Leonids Saturday!) 😉

• November 16, 2009, 8:00 pm Star*

This is exactly what I am thinking as I review the news headlines each day and see nothing about the HUGE cost of war, little about environmental destruction, a lot about individuals going off the deep end and doing ugly things to others, a lot about buy more, spend more, get the economy moving and GROWING again, nothing about the many free meals and soup kitchens springing up all over the country to quietly take care of those in deep need, nothing about the healers working outside the medical establishment as they attempt to ease the burdens of those suffering from maladies they cannot afford to pay for. We may have had enough growing and now need to do more tending and planning for a sustainable future. Sometimes I feel like the insane one as I WALK into town to do business with local proprietors and go to my part time jobs; as I engage with my art, do yoga, visit in person with friends, cook locally grown foods, watch NO TV, listen to very little commercial radio, read few newspapers, barter with others for goods and services and commune with like minded souls for a Thanksgiving meal. My art is carrying me through this crazy time, my friends are sustaining my spirit, my own heart knows what is truth and hopes others catch on soon! I pray for a new beginning that opens the eyes of our world and brings the wisdom of the earth, the Mother, to all, especially those in power. I pray, I love, I drum, I draw, I sing, I sew, I weave, I read, I look inward, I share, I teach, I walk, I talk, I write, I sit, I meditate, I dream of peace and watch the stars.

Star*

PS – I think there is some new poetry in this somewhere…

• November 17, 2009, 6:35 am Beth

Yes, this is poetry. And this is, too:
    You may say I’m a dreamer,
    But I’m not the only one…

And neither are we.

• November 18, 2009, 6:54 am Lori

I just happened by today and must say that your words speak volumes to me in this huge time of change! On a personal note, I have found myself in great contemplation these past few days. Why has this profound need for honesty come to the surface? Where has this extreme need for calm come from? During a time of personal turmoil and possible change on the horizon-calm is embedded within and it stumps me. Your words provide guidance and I thank you!

• November 18, 2009, 8:32 am Beth

So glad you were guided here .. welcome and make yourself at home!

• November 19, 2009, 9:20 am dooley worth

i grew up with a father and two uncles who were journalists. i read seven different newspapers everyday. In college i worked summers as a local reporter. as an adult i have been a social journalist writing about things that strike me as interesting. today, like many of you, i cannot stand more than severely limited exposure to tv news. it is entertainment designed to provoke anger, explain away things we need to deal with, distort issues so they end up looking like inside-out tee shirts. when there is interesting news it is often confined to several runs across the scrolling banner at the bottom of the screen doing something like as mad dash by the road runner. the news it makes me feel like i am from outer space and somehow came here by mistake this bears no resemblance to the country i grew up in, it is like cotton candy and confectioners illusion.