Tarot Card of the Week: Oct. 26-Nov. 1

The Chariot
In reading the lives of great men, I found that the first victory they won was over themselves…self-discipline with all of them came first.
— Harry Truman

For the first time in all these years of my posts, we are visited by The Chariot. How perfect that it appears this week, as we enter the time of Samhain and stand between the worlds, for it is truly the archetypal transport for carrying us into the dark half of the year.

The Chariot is the number seven of the Major Arcana. Of course, seven is a most magical number of luck, success, and power, and the Chariot reflects this.

The Waite-Smith Chariot image is a particularly fascinating one. Rachel Pollack, like many Tarot scholars, divides the 22 cards of the Major Arcana into 3 groups, from 1-7, 8-14, and 15-21, with The Fool, as zero, standing alone as beginning and end.

In her excellent recent book, Tarot Wisdom, she points out that, as the final card of the first sequence of three, the Waite-Smith Chariot contains a reference to all of the preceding Trumps. The charioteer holds one of The Magician’s wands; the two sphinxes are reminiscent of the pillars of The High Priestess; The Empress’ star crown appears as the canopy above the charioteer, and The Emperor is recalled by the stone-like cube of the chariot. She notes that the position of the sphinxes echoes the acolytes in The Hierophant, and lastly, the symbol of the wings, hovering over the joined lingam and yoni is a reference to the image of The Lovers.

Thus, all those elements that most affect us in our outer lives are mastered by the Chariot, making this card one of triumph. It portends moving successfully forward towards a goal, and the completion of the cycle. In psychological terms, it is the victory of the developed ego, the fully mature adult. So it is the turning point between external, worldly matters and the spiritual, inner journey.

We too stand on such an edge this week. We depart from the outwardly active time of year, and move inwards at Samhain. Like Persephone, who was abducted by Hades on His chariot, we are carried at this time deep into the dark of the year, and our own underworlds.

In such a journey, like the charioteer, we may be challenged to hold it all together. Yet the charioteer holds no reins; his sheer determination and focused intention direct the opposing forces of the black and white sphinxes.

Like him, if we have self-discipline, confidence in our abilities and the determination to move forward, we can create our own victory.

• October 26, 2009, 2:23 pm ARIE

Well this is my personality and soul card. 🙂
    He also has a star on his crown, like the one of the star card. One of my favorites.
    Seven also stands for the Law of Seven called the Law of Octaves. By overcoming the two intervals mi-fa and si-do enables him to move forward towards his goal. Otherwise he would have started a new octave at one of the intervals and gone to a different direction, never reaching his first goal.
    The square at his chest may mean that he has control.
    Samhain blessings.
    Arie

• October 26, 2009, 8:56 pm denise

I see this as very prophetic for me…after many, many years of putting dreams on hold with excuses (some valid, others not so much) I have started college classes today to finally get my associates degree in psychology. I am freaked/scared/overwhelmed and wondering just what in the heck I got myself into, but I have to keep things rolling or I'll fall off my path again.

• October 27, 2009, 8:26 am Madeline

Can't wait to see you new site! Am working on some creative ideas for new blog, etc..also. Hades has drawn me under too– but it's starting to feel right–I am going to enter into the darkness willingly and enjoy the secrets I find there..

Denise: you're entering the underground as well! YOU CAN DO IT GIRL! Arie: are you wokring on a particular goal right now??

Beth: I am coming out of the slump,slowly… but going to reside with Hades till i figure it all out!!

• October 27, 2009, 2:59 pm kachina

Thank you Beth. Good card.
    Self discipline and confidence in our abilities gives us the determination to move forward. we can create our own victory!

Do you or anyone you know give Tarot or Astro readings, or teach/consultations? I am learning to expand my skills. Email me at: seekthetruth.info@gmail.com

Kachina 🙂

• October 27, 2009, 3:31 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

Email sent to Kachina, but just for the record.. Why, yes, I do happen to know an excellent Tarot reader!

I'm a full-time intuitive and Tarot reader — being of service with the Tarot is what I do for a living.

I have been working with the cards for going on 38 years, and at least a third of my clients are long-distance, by phone.

I also happen to know a very good astrologer or two. Madeline, who posted right above yours, is outstanding, very heart-centered and a wise, wise woman. And my friend Lynn Hayes is also a renowned and deeply intuitive, skillful practitioner.

Just FYI! 😉

• October 28, 2009, 9:27 am ARIE

Madaline,
    I'm presently working on a healing goal.
    I plan to add a financial prosperity goal.
    All goals need perseverance, commitment and little steps.
    Arie