Happy Diwali!

“May you be blessed with good fortune as long as Lord Ganesha’s trunk,
wealth and prosperity as big as His stomach,
happiness as sweet as His ladoos,
and may your troubles be as small as His mouse.”

— Traditional Diwali blessing

Diwali (also known as Divali or Deepavali) is celebrated starting today, and continuing for five consecutive days. Diwali is one of the most popular and eagerly awaited festivals in India, and possibly the biggest holiday on earth, in terms of sheer numbers of participants.

And it is certainly one of the most joyful. Celebrated by millions of Hindus, Jains and Sikhs everywhere, it is a “Festival of Lights.” In fact, the literal meaning of ‘Diwali’ in Sanskrit is ‘a row of lamps.’ The most widespread tradition of Diwali is filling little clay lamps with oil and wick and lighting them in rows all over the house, dispelling the darkness of evil, and celebrating the triumph of good.

Millions throughout the subcontinent regard it as a celebration of life and an occasion to strengthen family and social relationships. For Hindus it is one of the most important festivals, and the beginning of the New Year in some Hindu calendars, especially in northern India.

Diwali has many legends and religious accounts associated with it. Lights and diyas are lit to signifying the driving away of darkness and ignorance, as well as the awakening of the light within ourselves.

All that is good in mankind is concentrated in the deeds of the God-king Ram, the ruler of Ayodhya, and incarnation of Vishnu. Lord Rama is central to the celebration of Diwali which begins on this New Moon.

Ram, along with his brother Lakshman and devoted follower Hanuman, and an army of monkeys, fought a great battle for ten days, to rescue his lovely wife Sita, who had been captured by the terrible demon Ravan. Sita at last was returned to Ram and it is on Diwali that they both returned to His capital Ayodhya in triumph and glory.

In addition, the Goddess Lakshmi, Goddess of good fortune and abundance is also honored at Diwali. She visits homes that are brightly lit, and festively decorated. People fix special foods, shoot off fireworks, and hold parties and fairs, melas, featuring rides, arts and crafts, acrobats, fortune telling and more.

May our lights shine brightly!
May
kindness and awareness be ignited in the hearts of all!

• October 17, 2009, 5:43 am Lyon

Happy Diwali! =)

• October 17, 2009, 9:24 am denise

What a lovely celebration! My family and I could certainly use some light and good fortune, so I'll be lighting my candles and send out some extra joy to the world ~*~*~*~

• October 17, 2009, 11:17 am Telluselle

Lightblessings from Gayatri to all!
    /Alexandra

• October 17, 2009, 1:13 pm Ganesha

Happy Diwali and a Blessed New Moon! Ganesha is the remover of obstacles.

“May you be blessed with good fortune as long as Lord Ganesha's trunk,
    wealth and prosperity as big as His stomach,
    happiness as sweet as His ladoos,
    and may your troubles be as small as His mouse.” — Traditional Diwali blessing

• October 17, 2009, 4:17 pm Athene Nocuta

How cool. . .I shall light some candles around the house. Also, what I nice celebration to have right before Halloween.

• October 17, 2009, 10:33 pm Anita Joy

A true Diwali story: With less than $20 in my bank account, I went out today, Sunday here in Australia, to get some groceries and stopped at a bookstore, and drooled over Caroline Myss' new book, "Defy Gravity", which I would have to defer purchasing for who knows how long. After getting my groceries, I decided to check my bank balance and to my utter delight and surprise: my tax refund had been deposited!!

I went back to the bookstore and purchased "Defy Gravity", another book and the 2010 Inner Reflections diary. Upon coming home, went online and as I always do, checked your blog, Beth, and laughed until I cried; for truly my troubles are as small as Lord Ganesha's mouse and I am blessed by the Eleventh Hour Muse.

• October 18, 2009, 3:05 am Amethyst

I am so thrilled to see so many people, yourself included, sharing in the delight of different spiritualities. This is indeed a wonderful celebration of fortune, life and happiness and it's so wonderful to see that shared around the world.
    Smiles, Amethyst

• October 18, 2009, 5:07 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Wow! Thanks for these luscious responses!

And by the way, don't you just LOVE that Prez. Obama lit a Diwali lamp at the White House and wished everyone a joyful holiday? That is SO cool!

Hugs, light, and joyful abundance to all! Blessings to Rama, Ganesha and beloved Lakshmi!
    — Beth