WHY?

On Thursday, Sept. 24, using tear gas, pepper spray and rubber bullets, riot police attacked University of Pittsburgh students on their own campus.

Most of the students were just hanging out, not demonstrating. But so what if they were demonstrating, since it was a peaceful assembly? Who decides if we aren’t “allowed” to exercise our First Amendment rights? And why?

• September 26, 2009, 7:23 am Anonymous

There is/was a clip on youtube of men in military fatigues dragging a protester into a car, but the links are now broken, I think it was pulled.

If these were protesters were teabaggers, the cops would have brought them coffee and donuts

• September 26, 2009, 7:34 am Anonymous
  • September 26, 2009, 8:45 am Beth Owl's Daughter

I saw that YouTube, but I am inclined to believe it was staged as some kind of guerilla theater.

I had the exact same thought about how different it would be if they were tea baggers. For one thing, there would be a LOT more mainstream media outrage.
    – B.

• September 26, 2009, 8:50 am October Crow

This all makes me very sad. I live in Pittsburgh and saw a lot of what went down – and I have to say that most of the students were peaceful. However, there were many who were not. Windows were smashed, fights were started, fires were lit. By the protesters, not the police. What you see in this video of people just walking around was only on the outskirts of what was happening. (Also, the YouTube video is a fake – the military haven't worn those kinds of fatigues in 10 years.) I do know that many of my family and friends who work and live in downtown Pittsburgh were glad of the police presence and said it made them feel very safe. Much of what you see on video is edited and used to further opinions and agendas (and that can be said for both protesters and police, I know.) But better to have a healthy, questioning, truth seeking perspective than to just willingly believe everything that's put out there.

• September 26, 2009, 10:41 am denise

Reading the articles I have found, protesting by throwing rocks at police, smashing windows of cars and businesses and hiding behind masks is, in my own little opinion, a really dumb way to state your case and have your concerns considered as valid.
    If I was living or visiting Pittsburgh at this time, I would have been terrified at all the wanton destruction and blatant chaos.

• September 26, 2009, 12:47 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

This is disheartening information all the way around. I can only hope that the Big Powers have some sense of how desperate ordinary folk are feeling, on every side of the issues.

Thank you for sharing what you know.

• September 26, 2009, 1:51 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

The Nation weighs in on "Fortress Pittsburgh." (Thank you to Pandora for pointing to this article).

You can read it by clicking here.

• September 27, 2009, 4:25 pm denise

"big powers and sense"….well there's an oxymoron! LOL!!!!!!! 😉

• September 28, 2009, 8:38 am Anonymous

Violence happens at protests for a number of reasons. One is government agitators who infiltrate groups in order to create havoc during protests. This has been a well documented tactic by law enforcement and was most recently exposed during the last GOP convention. All it takes is one match to start a fire.

Another is that the protester's violent actions are a reaction to police brutality. The 1999 WTO protests in Seattle and protests at the last GOP convention are a vivid example of the extent of that brutality and the reaction to it by protesters.