Trust

As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The point of my tangent about the economic paradigm yesterday was to help us understand why “scarcity thinking” is so normal for us. We can try to get past it, but we need to recognize that our whole culture is deeply programmed to believe that there is not enough for everyone. In fact, our entire economic system is based on this.

On an intellectual and spiritual level, I think most of us realize the fallacy of this. But it’s hard for our emotional selves to catch up and live accordingly. After all, there are fearful messages everywhere, that are designed with absolute intention and precision to manipulate our emotional responses.

And of course, as Julia points out, many of us have subconsciously anthropomorphized the Goddess “into a capricious parent figure.” As we’ve seen from our previous exercises, many of us have old childhood wounds about abandonment, trust, fears of love being withheld, and so on. So for many, it is hard to reach out our hands the The Big Parent in the Sky and ask for what we most desire, for fear of being shamed, punished or hurt at the very core of our need.

But your affirmations, these tentative ventures into your creativity, and all the work you’ve already been doing throughout your lifetime is, by now I hope, beginning to come together and show you something very different and powerful. This process is the dawning of a new understanding. Now is the beginning of seeing what is realistically possible for you. And I hope you are seeing that “realism” is, in fact, vastly bigger than your previous definition of it.

“Remembering that the Goddess is our source, an energy flow that likes to extend itself, we become more able to tap our creative power effectively.

“Goddess has lots of money. She has lots of movie ideas, novel ideas, poems, songs, paintings, acting jobs. The Great Divine One has a supply of loves, friends, houses that are all available to us. By listening to the creator within, we are led to our right path. On that path, we find friends, lovers, money and meaningful work.

“Very often, when we cannot seem to find an adequate supply, it is because we are insisting on a particular human source of supply. We must learn to let the flow manifest itself where it will – not where we will it.”

Julia goes on to issue this challenge for us: “If this still sounds airy fairy to you, ask yourself bluntly what next step you are evading. What dream are you discounting as impossible, given your resources? What payoff are you getting for remaining stuck at this point in your expansion?”

Is this the case for anyone reading here? How are you doing with your dreams, your desires, your own recovery of your creative, expressive, magical, wondrous self?

• June 11, 2009, 11:36 am joanna brightbrook

hmm, not sure how this fits into your post, but I feel that it does . . . This week I voluntarily went down to 4 days because, frankly, there is not enough work for my position to fill 40 hours!

I had a lovely day off, did some creative work, went to an excellent Reiki circle, and made a good effort at NOT feeling GUILTY for not working my nine to five. Especially in the morning when I first got up I felt as if I had been let out of a cage by accident!

I have a strong feeling that somehow this extra time is going to open up and allow in all kinds of opportunities that have been waiting in the wings for me.

blessings to all

• June 11, 2009, 2:19 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

Yay!!! I love getting permission slips signed by the Universe! Congratulations!

Enjoy it!
    – B.

• June 11, 2009, 3:00 pm ARIE

The film Matrix inspires me a lot.

Arie

• June 11, 2009, 3:32 pm Thalia

That's weird, Arie, I was just thinking about the Matrix last night. How 'matrix' actually means 'womb' and how that therefore implies that something is about to be born.

I have been reading along this week and nodding, though I haven't commented before today. Tuesday I think I woke up thinking I should make an altar to Lakshmi, given all the upheaval with my job, &c and all the work I'm doing for it, and there you were with a picture of Her. You are reading my mind.

This really is everything, isn't it?

As for scarcity thinking, it's one of my major issues (I mean, not like it isn't everyone's, given that that is how the world is structured, as you say) since both my parents were children during the Great Depression. It's like an exponential form of it or something, one that's hard to even see when you grow up in it like that. So, yeah.

• June 11, 2009, 3:45 pm Thalia

All right, let's see.

One of my dreams is to relocate to the UK. I know that sometime this year (I think it had to do with turning 40, for some reason) I mentally put it on a shelf, given what I see as my lack of resources–self-employed artist who doesn't work a steady or reliable 9 to 5 type job, as well as not being the marrying type at all so I would have to do it alone. Also my mother is getting old (she's 83) and I feel I have to be around for her, so, my dreams get shelved. (My brother's, of course, do not. Funny how that works).

Something about turning 40, though. Like if I don't do it NOW it's not going to happen when I'm 50 because that's too old or something. Which is quite ridiculous, isn't it? Julia Child didn't even begin her career as a TV chef until her 50's.

It's mortality, my mother's and my own, looking at me, is what it is. (Not the small stuff, oh no!)

What is my payoff for remaining here? I don't know. Comfort, I guess, which in other ways I am actively trying to cultivate, since, as for me anyway, that is the way I think towards healing. I've been uncomfortable for most of my life; I have to find a place of comfort first before I can go beyond that.

Anyway, that's just the tip of things, but it's someplace to start.

• June 11, 2009, 7:25 pm Star

I am grateful to catch up with you all again. My computer has been down for 2 days and I was getting frantic! I now have a backup netbook to use for the internet, if this crash happens again. It was very difficult for me to operate without internet access. I realize now, just how important that is to my current creative processes, including staying connected with this group! Now that I am back from my trip to visit my daughter and back on line, I hope to settle back in to the work for the week.

Whew! It has been quite a ride this past week…

Star*

• June 12, 2009, 2:30 am ARIE

Thalia, that is what we call collective consciousness. This group may have a conciousness of its own.

And, one of my teachers said:

"There is no place where one can be free. Only your place exists. This is the only place where one can feel free". Patricio Paoletti.

I remind myself of these words when I feel like dropping everything and moving to Australia, New Zealand, to an a tropic island in the pacific, away from this mad world. 🙂

Arie