Spiritual Dependency

© Osho Zen Tarot
I am open to the guidance of synchronicity, and do not let expectations hinder my path.
— His Holiness, the Dalai Lama

Since February, we have been excavating our consciousness, discovering the lost temples of our most holy places, and restoring the sacred meeting grounds between our incarnate lives and the Divine within us. In this journey, we have begun to discover just how deep our blocks and hurts have been, how often negativity and old inner scripts of fear are still being triggered, and exactly how scary it is for us to believe and act as if we are being personally guided by hands other than our own.

“The shift to spiritual dependency is a gradual one,” Julia writes. “We have been making this shift slowly and surely. With each day we become more true to ourselves, more open to the positive.”

As I type her words, I notice in myself how resistant and afraid I get about the word, “dependency.” I have lots of fear around that word, starting with being labeled throughout my childhood in my military family, a dependent. Then, like many of you, there have been plenty of encounters with other kinds of dependency – drugs, needy relationships, alcohol, and money. And then there was our recent confrontation with our dependency on books and media to, entertain, distract and even insulate us.

Because of my history, I tend to rebel against any form of dependency, and feel strongly that I should be in control of things. But of course, in many cases, I’m not. Learning when it’s right and wrong to surrender has been a long journey for me.

When our dependency is spiritual, and good, we will notice that we feel stronger and more authentic. Not less. Once we have dealt with the toxic ones that needed clearing away, our remaining relationships may improve significantly. We may find we are less judgmental about both ourselves and others. “We are able to tell more of our truth, hear more of other people’s truth and encompass a far more kindly attitude toward both,” Julia reassures us.

How does this happen? As we are learning to reach out in trust to Other, we are learning to listen. We are beginning to notice that when we ask, we receive.

This requires quiet (like reading deprivation practices, and the occasional media fast), and it requires creating an opportunity for Guidance to speak – which is what the morning pages, in truth, are.

One exercise that Julia suggests, now that morning pages are a habit (right?), is to develop them as an actual dialogue. “At night, before we fall asleep, we can list areas in which we need guidance. In the morning, writing on these same topics, we find ourselves seeing previously unseen avenues of approach.”

This weekend, I encourage you to experiment with this two-step process (some of you already have discovered this, I believe). In the evening, ask for answers. Listen for them next morning in your pages.

Be open to all forms of help.

• June 12, 2009, 9:23 am ARIE

Asking for answers in the evening…

This reminds me of a similar practice called "Self Blessing".
    Well not that similar, as here you create your own scenario for the next day.

Here it is:

Before going to sleep, sit in a quiet place and see yourself as in a movie through all the main stages of the day. You emphasize all that worked well and change all that you did wrong.

Then go and have a bath. When the water touches your body link it to the astral light, the spiritual light, the sun. Visualize the water as light. Less fluid than usual, full of life that renews yourself. See this water renewing you also from within.. Tell yourself that tomorrow at sunrise, the new light will find you different. Linked to it.
    At dawn your aura will vibrate and then you will wake up.
    full of energy.

After finishing your bath, you have cleared space for something new. Now visualize yourself in the next day, as you would like to be. Who will you be, what will happen, what will you feel.

Arie

• June 12, 2009, 9:27 am Debra She Who Seeks

I too dislike the word "dependency" and all the baggage it comes with. How about a phrase like "deep spiritual trust" instead? Because isn't that what she's really talking about?

• June 12, 2009, 11:18 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Oooo! I like this Arie! In the summer, especially, I love having a bath before bedtime. What a lovely way to do it with magic!

Debra — maybe, but I think she's also talking about really handing over the controls to Spirit. Not just trusting, but completely relying on Her/Him/It/Them.

• June 12, 2009, 12:05 pm joanna brightbrook

The dependency issue becomes moot I think, when (in those rare moments) we remember that we ARE Spirit/Goddess/God . . . when we release our ego needs (again in those hopefully becoming less rare moments) and follow with deep trust our soul's direction. Being dependent on the Source that comes from within rings truer for me than dependency on an outside divinity.

What do you all think?

• June 12, 2009, 7:34 pm Athene Noctua

Arie,
    Would this work in a shower or only a bath. I usually shower at night, before bed, because I find it relaxes me and helps me sleep better.

Thanks

• June 12, 2009, 11:21 pm Thalia

I agree, Joanna. The 'relying' on God (and I know that is the language Julia is using, though you Beth are I believe changing it to 'Goddess') sounds very, well, Christian to me, and something deep within me is inherently (I think rightly) mistrustful of that. I don't think that's just defenses speaking, either.

There are differences in approach between the religions. I'm not sure it is entirely in synch? with how Goddess religions operate. At least my experience of them, or how I have created my own religion, I mean. I don't know if I'm making sense here, as I'm having a hard time putting my finger on just what I'm thinking about this.

Something about it is sending up an intuitive warning flag, though.

The Artist's Way is loosely based on, or inspired by, twelve-step programs, right? As in, programs like Alcoholics Anonymous that help one find one's way out of a type of dependency, correct? It sounds like it is taking for granted that there will always be a need for some form of dependency, and I would definitely not agree with that.

I don't know. It's just not quite ringing true to me.

That said, I have found in my experience with what I call God (and I don't mean Goddess, either) that he can be relied on, probably far further than I realize. But relying on someone else (even if we are talking the Muse, the daimon, who properly manifests from within, well, within-ish) is in some way giving up consent, isn't it? That is I think part of the sticking point for me. I have to be able to say no. And that means actually saying no, period.

Hmmm. I don't know. I'm feeling like Julia is coming from a different set of assumptions than I am about the Divine. Or something. Like I said, warning flags going up, but I'm afraid I'm not able to articulate it much better than that.

• June 13, 2009, 4:50 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Joanna and Thalia .. these are really, really good points, and I am inclined to agree, now that I understand better what you're saying.

(By the way, yes, I am changing Julia's use of God to Goddess, as well as Source, Divine One, and a few other things, to be more inclusive).

Indeed, this is being presented in traditional 12-step techniques, which has always been problematic for me, because AA and its spinoffs really are saturated in Judeo-Christian beliefs. I know that it has been tweaked for others, including Pagans and atheists, but it still is there.

Just like my changing Julia's terminology for the Divine doesn't change some of her assumptions of how S/He operates.

Changing "God" to "Goddess" doesn't really fix the underlying attitudes about our relationship, and I think this is precisely one place where this feels a bit "off."

As I say, for me, it has been a lifelong journey of knowing how to mix volition and surrender (Hmmm. Might this be, in a nutshell, the whole human dilemma?).

Thank you both for helping me to understand more about my own resistances. I think they probably are about more than just old defenses..

Thank you especially for reminding me, Thalia, that one of the most important components when I am at my best in my interactions with He and She of a Thousand Names, is that She does NOT require blind acceptance or that I abdicate my will, or that I am ever Her sacrificial lamb.

Clearly we all have many deep, complex crosstides of thought, habit, and discoveries at this particular point. At least, I do.

Again, my thanks for illumination on this.. What you both are saying rings far truer for me. In all fairness to Julia, of course, I am picking and choosing, rather than reproducing the book verbatim.

– B.

• June 13, 2009, 7:12 am ARIE

Athene, Yes you can do it in a shower. The visualization is the same.
    You can even only wash your face, if you don't have time to shower, and visualize the energy spreading from your face to your body.

By the way whenever I wash my face I always wash the back of my neck. It has such a cooling energetic feeling.

• June 13, 2009, 7:27 am ARIE

Surrender – Dependency

For me these terms do not fit in my relation to the divine.

For me the Divine dwels within me and all around me. I can reaaly FEEL it. I'm part of the Divine. I may call this Symbiosis on a spiritual level. But then it would no be exactly that. It is very diffulct to define.

Sometimes I feel the Goddess seeing through my eyes.

Sometimes I feel part of the whole.

This is difficult to define.

Or it may even not be definable.

It could be defined in a multi dimensional level But not in words.

Arie