Pray and Run

Abundance Angel © Katherine Skaggs
Ordinary riches can be stolen; real riches cannot.
In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.
— Oscar Wilde

Okay, I am going to refrain from going off on a rant about The Secret, the Law of Attraction and so on. You know by now how I feel about those half-truths. The part of them that speaks truth is powerful, but that just adds to the seduction of the disingenuous parts that can be so corrosive and damaging.

Although sometimes we need only ask and the Universe instantly delivers, Julia wisely reminds us that, “More often what we are talking about seems to be a conscious partnership in which we work along slowly and gradually, clearing away the wreckage of our negative patterning, clarifying the vision of what it is we want, learning to accept small pieces of that vision from whatever source and then, one day, presto! The vision seems to suddenly be in place.

“In other words, pray to catch the bus, then run as fast you can.”

If we are going to get anywhere, though, we have to believe that we are allowed to catch the bus. Recovering that level of faith and trust is tricky for us as we continue to understand what “recovering our inner artist” actually means.

It is the recovery of the belief that our hopes and aspirations are not doomed from the start; that there is actually a Divine Source that has deep (infinite!) pockets and actually cares – in fact, wants us to succeed. Yes, us, personally, in our own tiny universe.

And we can begin to clear up guilt about having too much by knowing that everyone has infinite, unlimited access: our thriving causes no depriving. It is the recognition that receiving the Goddess’ blessings is actually an act of devotion. Cooperating with Her plan to manifest goodness through our living, we can turn away from our habits of self-sabotage and fear.

In the current economic difficulties, specifically the transit of Pluto in Capricorn, I have been giving a lot of thought to how we define money, wealth, and security. I believe that we are seeing the utter transformation of those concepts. While the crisis may ease for a while, we are undergoing a Plutonic revolution, which will end in March, 2023. By that time, we can expect our most fundamental institutions – financial, governmental, and religious – to be nearly unrecognizable as we know them today.

Much of our basic understanding of prosperity and abundance, for instance, is rooted in Adam Smith’s mechanistic model, “The Wealth of Nations,” published in 1776. At the time, it was cutting edge, reflecting a world of rebellion against monarchy, intent on democratic liberty, and on the threshold of the Industrial Revolution. It frames the creation and distribution of wealth through a lens of Manifest Destiny, scarcity, competition, and factory-like mechanisms.

But now, whether we like it or not, we are forced to question those premises. From astrologers to economic policy-makers, voices about as disparate as you can get, the evidence is irrefutable that the scarcity/competition model is no longer sustainable.

As creatives and artists, we are on the leading edge of understanding this. We are, I believe, being invited to demonstrate and participate in the real wealth and support that is available: that which comes directly from the Giver of Good. But She does not respond all that well, in my experience, to us sitting around with good intentions, or even begging on our knees. The Goddess seems to prefer that we go for it with all our faith, and run as fast as we can.

More about how we do this tomorrow.

• June 10, 2009, 11:15 pm Athene Noctua

Thanks Beth Owl for this beautiful reminder that abundance surrounds us. I am getting ready to make changes in my life, and am worried about finances and how that will affect my family. So it's reassuring to know that if I am working towards achieving what is right for me, thanks will turn out fine. It's hard to give up the scary and negative belief that we are set up to fail and/or there is never enough.

BTW, I am still keeping my gratitude journal, that I started a yr or 2 ago when you suggested we rethink wealth/prosperity. The thing that makes me happiest is hearing my children laugh, and money can't buy that. The journal is an important reminder that money isn't the be all or end all.

• June 11, 2009, 4:31 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Oh, thank you for letting me know about that! I have seen, not only in my life, but the lives of so many, how cultivating gratitude will completely change your world. It is not always a direct cause and effect: if I am grateful, piles of money will show up.. but it is a rearrangement of our values, which then opens our hearts so that we can really, really receive the abundance that is all around us.

May you be blessed again and again, Athene Noctua – you are a rich woman indeed!
    – B.

• June 11, 2009, 7:52 am ARIE

If I ask, and one part of me is not aligned to my wish then it won't work.

That is why I practice the triple soul aligment every morning.

I find it interesting to observe that sometimes, when I put my wish (intention) on a certain issue, before starting the practice, later in the middle of the practice, after doing some cycles. when I reach the "sticky one" or "the fetch" then I can clearly feel the objection of that part to my wish.

Sometimes an objection is so deeply rooted that it becomes very difficult to overcome.

I have found one or two issues like that. I think I will have to resort to magick to solve this. I will need to plan this very carefully in order to get the correct results.

These objections may be linked to early childhood or past lives.

Arie

• June 11, 2009, 2:03 pm Anonymous

Can the "triple soul alignment" be shared with those of us who do not kno/understand what that is?
    Much thanks, Catherine BTW

• June 11, 2009, 2:33 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

Sure, Catherine. It is a practice that comes from Reclaiming's roots in the Feri (Victor and Cora Anderson) tradition. It's based on the premise that we are not one soul, but three: our Younger Self (the "fetch"), our Talking Self (our ordinary consciousness), and our "God Self" or Divine Self.

The basic idea is to have all three in alignment, and the Ha! Prayer is one way to do that, using breath and energy.

Here's one link that explains it pretty well. (You might want to print it; Geocities is going away soon, I hear). And here's another link that is useful (scroll down a bit to get to it).

Hope this is helpful!
    – B.

• June 11, 2009, 2:49 pm ARIE

Below links seem to explain it well.

Breath in counting four, hold count four, breath out count four, hold count four.

If four is too much then count three. Never push your breath too much so it is not comfortable. Practice it gradually.

I sometimes count listening to my heartbeats.

There are also many variations and add ons.

I suggest to learn from someone who has been doing this practice.
    You just don't learn Yoga asanas from a book, for example.

Most Reclaiming and Feri tradition witches know this practice well.

• June 11, 2009, 2:53 pm ARIE

Beth I love this! 🙂

We are replying simultaneously.

What a psychic coordination.

Our third eyes are glowing just now.

Blessings
    Arie

• June 11, 2009, 3:59 pm Thalia

Hmmm. Infinity divided by any number still gives infinity.

Goddess split off into any number of people is still whole and completely Goddess within each.

• June 11, 2009, 5:27 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

And of course, my first reaction is to say…

HA!