Micro Movements

Door of Bliss © 1991 Shane Rickman

We hear about following your bliss. But we must also create some to follow!
Creating the awareness of bliss is a lifetime job.
— SARK

How was your weekend? Are you starting to enjoy The Fool vibes for this week? I hope so!

Did you complete the exercises from Friday’s suggestions? Some of you have posted your thoughts about these, especially the twenty things you enjoy doing. If you haven’t made your list yet, please do, because this week, we have some more homework to do, before starting Step Three.

In fact, our next exercise depends on having made your list of twenty fun things. From that list, Julia asks us to write down two favorite things that we’ve avoided doing. And then making them goals for this week. It doesn’t have to be huge or difficult. For instance, if you love to surf, this might not be the best time of year to hit the waves, unless you live somewhere very warm!

It doesn’t even have to be the whole, entire thing. Instead, she suggests, “Look for windows of time just for you, and use them in small creative acts…Stop looking for big blocks of time when you will be free. Find small bits of time instead.”

Which brings me to another treasured resource for encouraging our creative nature: the glorious SARK. SARK is the pen name for a woman named Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy. She is a much loved artist and author of dozens of books about how to live our lives big and out loud by being the juicy, joyful creators we are meant to be. Julia calls her an “effervescent, festive, creative catalyst” and she is, despite being the survivor of many years of childhood abuse and incest.

SARK has coined a term for a technique that can work for even the most busy and distracted of us. She calls them “micromovements.”

“The micromovement method,” she writes in her delicious, Make Your Creative Dreams Real, “works even if you don’t want to…If you are a practicing procrastinator, perfectionist, avoider, just plain busy, or want to stay in bed and not really do anything, micromovements are designed especially for you…

“A micromovement is a very tiny action that anyone can take toward some part of his or her creative dream. It’s five seconds to 5 minutes in length, and you write it down, along with a gentle date and time for completion.”

She explains, “We think of our creative dream and imagine what needs to happen before it can become true and real, and we sigh and stop ourselves.” It becomes so overwhelming that we give up, especially when we think about all the boring, mundane, tedious parts, instead of the big ta-daa moment at the end.

She recommends that instead, we take just one teensy little baby step on a regular basis. These tiny micromovements are easy, non-threatening, and often, our inner critic will sleep right through them. And little by little, we will make actual progress.

So here are some ideas to inspire your micromovements:

Dream: Play in a bluegrass band
Micromovement: Tuesday, April 7, 5:30-5:35 p.m.: Tune the banjo

Micromovement: Wednesday, April 8, 12:30-12:35 pm: Google search banjo tablature files.

Dream: Write a novel
Micromovement: Tuesday, April 7, 6:45-6:47 p.m.: Open a folder file on computer and label it “Novel.”

Micromovement: Thursday after work: go to favorite bookstore and browse books about writing.

Fun thing I haven’t done in a while: Make a dream collage
Micromovement: Tuesday, April 7, 2:15-2:20pm: Take out the pile of magazines under the bed and stack on dining room table for cutting out later.

Micromovement: Wednesday, April 8, 2:15-2:20pm: Put scissors, glue stick and blank paper on dining room table.

That’s it! Stop after five minutes! The micromovements are designed to keep us from going overboard, causing so much guilt about the time you didn’t mean to spend, that all progress stops for another five or ten years! Unless you really do have a very comfortable chunk of time and this gets you on a roll. Which it, sneakily, might!

More tomorrow!

• April 7, 2009, 5:48 pm Thalia

Oh my God I LOVE SARK! And the Fool, for that matter.

I remember being in art school and having my liberal arts class get out at like 10:30am. I’d go back to the dorm and have an hour and a half before I had to go to lunch and from there straight to whatever studio class. At first I didn’t know what to do with that hour and half, and didn’t think I could get anything important done. But somewhere in there I did manage to make myself do something, even if it was only a little progress on something. And I found that, first of all, I got waaay more done that I would have thought of in that hour and a half, but that it also primed the energy (or something) and affected the rest of how I used my time–in other words, I got far more than just another hour and a half’s work out of it, since I found that even with a break I was more ready to work when I came home after dinner. In other words it got me in the flow and kept me in the flow even hours later.

So let’s see, a couple things on my list of fun things I want to do are to play a little basketball, and to play with my Spirograph.

now I have to find the Spirograph first. So for micromovements I can set five minutes aside to look in one closet that is the Most Likely Space; and if it’s not there I can then block out another five minutes on another day to look in the Second Most Likely Space.

As for the basketball, I could go get it out of the garage. At least I know where that one is!

I’m in this weird space right now because I am working on refinishing a room to be my studio. And I keep thinking I have to do this step before I can do this, that sort of thing. My drawing table is piled high with art supplies that don’t have a home right now and so I’ve been moving the pile back and forth from table to bed, which is a pain, and is often too big a hurdle to get over. But I’ve found that even if I’m not intending to do art that day, if first thing I just move the pile onto the bed so that my table is free I’m much more likely to plunk myself down at it and diddle around with art.

• April 8, 2009, 3:06 am Beth Owl's Daughter

(And I just have to say – SPIROGRAPH! I loved those!!! How cool you still have one!)

• April 8, 2009, 3:18 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Oh, and p.s.: Speaking of SARK, anyone looking for the job of a lifetime?
    – B.

• April 8, 2009, 8:28 am Star

I still have my Spirograph!!!!! I might get it out this afternoon.

I love what Thalia said about micromovement: “At first I didn’t know what to do with that hour and half, and didn’t think I could get anything important done. …I did manage to make myself do something, even if it was only a little progress… And I found that, first of all, I got waaay more done that I would have thought…, but that it also primed the energy… and affected the rest of how I used my time…it got me in the flow and kept me in the flow even hours later….”

This is what seems to be happening with me now. Thanks for describing it!

Star

• April 8, 2009, 5:03 pm Thalia

My goodness, I’m very nearly qualified for that job (except for the bit about marketing, which I want very little to do with). While on SARK’s site I clicked on the Jupiter Oracle and was immediately told by him to “do a micromovement.” (Jupiter, by the way, would appear to be a dead ringer for my Maude.) So I climbed over the stuff in the garage and got my basketball, and on a whim looked in one of the various and sundry attics at the compound here (not where I was going to look first, actually, but my intuition was leading the way) and found my Spirograph, in the very first box! And, I found my big box of Legos, too. Yay!

I actually got my Spirograph new a few years ago, so they probably still make them now…

• April 8, 2009, 5:19 pm Thalia

Star, you are welcome. 🙂

I think it’s micro on the conscious level, but rather more macro on the unconscious level. Very clever!

• April 10, 2009, 1:59 pm Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

I love your nest! What an inspiring trove… Thanks for sharing about micromovements too! I have 20 wheels of MM spinning right now…. love, SARK