The Fallacy of Either/Or

Comfort Zone © Tim Davis
If we’re growing, we’re always going to be out of our comfort zone.
— John Maxwell

I am simply blown away by the courage of each one of you that has shared your fears here. And for those of you who are silent so far, no problem. Be comfortable and at ease. I know you’re here, and I am so glad you are. And I know that you, too, are filled with these same poignant combinations of doubts and astonishing beauty. (Hey, I know all this because I am a professional intuitive, remember?)

Already this process is completely different from when I worked it alone; the insights you are sharing here are light years ahead of what I, by myself, could have ever come up with. So thank you, thank you, each one of you!

So, can you see how similar our fears are? And how they can even be categorized into clusters, meaning that there are maybe really onlyBig Fears that we carry, that simply have different facets. four or five

Which means that they can be addressed and wiped out. Julia writes, “The bottom line is that core negatives – personal and cultural – always go for your jugular. They attack your sexuality, your lovability, your intelligence [and in these scary times, our basic, physical survival –B.] – whatever vulnerability they can latch onto.”

So here’s your next exercise. Can you take your twenty reasons why you can’t be a successful, prolific, creative artist and distill each one? Then come up with an antidote? For instance, Julia lists hers:

Negative beliefs……..Positive Alternatives
Artists are:……….Artists can be:
drunk………………sober
crazy………………..sane
broke…………………solvent
irresponsible……………responsible
loners…………………user-friendly
doomed…………………. saved
unhappy…………………happy
born, not made…………discovered and recovered

She points out, “Most blocked creatives carry unacknowledged either/or reasoning that stands between them and their work. To become unblocked we must recognize our either/or thinking. ‘I can either be romantically happy or an artist.’ ‘I can either be financially successful or an artist.’

“It is possible, quite possible, to be both an artist and romantically fulfilled. It is quite possible to be an artist and financially successful.

“Your block doesn’t want you to see that. Its whole plan of attack is to make you irrationally afraid of some dire outcome you are too embarrassed to even mention…”

Which is why I am so honored and inspired by your bravery, offering to share your fears with us here.

So, have fun today, knocking down the boogey-men that have been hiding under your bed and in your closets. Tomorrow, we’ll talk about what they all really boil down to, and let the real sunshine of healing begin!

• March 5, 2009, 9:36 am ARIE

Dear Friends,

This discussion is getting very interesting. Unfortunately as my home computer crashed and I’m leaving work now, I’ll be near a computer only around Monday/Tuesday.

Blessings
    Arie

• March 5, 2009, 9:57 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Oh, no!! Arie! Well, stay caught up with us as best you can. I know you’re here in spirit. And do you have the book? Just continue on, and if you get ahead or a little behind, that is totally fine.

Anybody got a spare computer they want to ship to Arie!
    xxoox,

• March 5, 2009, 11:08 am Star

My 2nd Artist Date: I was regretting the fact that I can’t get to a real art museum just now and will have to travel several hours to do so. Then, I went to the local Art Center that has a display this month of art from the high school students. WOW! Talk about inspiring! Obviously, these students have some support, good teachers, lots of creativity and are flourishing! I also heard my little voice inside saying “wow, these kids are really good, much better than me…”. Oh well, at least I witnessed it happening in real time.

Star*

• March 5, 2009, 6:17 pm Thalia

For some reason “user-friendly” is really cracking me up today. Maybe it’s that old joke, “User-friendly interface? But I hardly know her!”

Okay, off to do today’s exercise.

• March 5, 2009, 6:48 pm Thalia

Okay, here’s what mine boil down to. Though it wasn’t so much negative stereotypes about artists, as what I think someone (me) has to be before I can be an artist. If that makes sense?

Artists are:

faultlessly brave
    male
    focused/intense/disciplined
    tormented
    cutting edge/avant garde
    independently wealthy

So I guess my antidotes are:

One can certainly be a coward and an artist. And anyway, I am braver than I think.

Male? Not sure I can do anything about that on my end, but it is demonstrably untrue (Mary Cassatt, Artemisia Gentileschi, Remedios Varo, Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale, Beatrix Potter &c., &c.)

One can be an ordinary human being and be an artist. I do not have to be any more organized or intense than anyone else.

Tormented? Seriously, eff that noise.

Cutting edge/avant garde? A traditional approach to art is still art. (This one I blame on Art School, and the pressure to be an individual. What if what you naturally desire to make is, well, old-fashioned?)

Independently wealthy? I'm thinking of Monet, here, I guess. I mean it would help. But really, artists are just ordinary people in these matters and come in all stripes.

I mean, it's ridiculous. I am, obviously, an artist, and I always have been. I've always identified as such, since I was a little kid.

It’s like saying ‘cats are never black,’ when there’s a black cat sitting right there.

So much of this is just head games, isn’t it?

So, artists can be:

mentally healthy
    happy
    ordinarily brave
    female
    prosperous
    ordinary
    ordinary
    ordinary

• March 5, 2009, 7:53 pm joanna brightbrook

– Art is expensive and needs special space/supplies.
    + I can make art anywhere, with anything.

– Art must be public.
    + I make personal art, for my eyes only.

– Art must last forever.
    + Make art that decays, asks to be destroyed, is edible, wearable, part of the landscape.

– Success = financial wealth.
    +Success = Joy, love, beauty, creativity, growth, exuberance, exchange, healing

– Consistency/themes must be preplanned.
    +Wait. Look back later. Gain perspective and themes emerge. The only constant is change.

– Art comes from pain.
    + Art is based in any emotional, spiritual, physical place, or in none.

– I am not ____ enough.
    + I am a beautiful, creative creation of the Goddess and I am perfect in my imperfection.

• March 5, 2009, 7:56 pm joanna brightbrook

Also–
    in response to Thalia’s
    ordinary
    ordinary
    ordinary

I love it!!

and, I think every human being is creative/creating everyday. The question is are you creating with intention, or without even knowing it?

• March 5, 2009, 8:46 pm Thalia

Joanna–

– Consistency/themes must be preplanned.

Pre-planning and thinking it all out before even putting brush to paper is certainly what we were taught at art school; but I find my best work is the kind I have no idea what it’s about when I’m doing it. Going back into it afterwards and figuring it out is then the fun part. Also, planning can really kill the magic of it.

And to use a New Englandism: Joanna, you’re wicked smart. 🙂

• March 6, 2009, 5:27 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Hey… Did you look ahead to my post for today??

Yes and yes and YES to all this!! You all are so rocking my world!
    – B.

• March 6, 2009, 10:12 am Angela Raincatcher

OK. I’ll try this too.

Artists are:
    – formally trained, or are naturally good, in specific skills
    + can teach themselves and have nontraditional skills

– recognized as artists within the art world
    + recognized as artists by the flow from within

– willing to risk physical and emotional stability
    + can be stable

– devoted exclusively to their art
    + can have other responsibilities and concerns

– Divinely inspired
    + sometimes have to “fill the form” and do the work when not inspired

– Arrogant
    + Humble or right-sized

– Don’t care about others’ opinions
    + Can be caring and connected while still delving into “scarey” places.

• March 7, 2009, 6:30 am Beth Owl's Daughter

Angela! That is gorgeously said! I especially like:
    + recognized as artists by the flow from within

Beautiful! You all are so profoundly inspiring; I can’t thank you enough!