New Moon Blessings!

Dark of the Moon
New beginnings

Dark of the Moon

Plant a seed tonight

Dark of the Moon

What we envision

Will come to be by the Full Moon’s light.

The New Moon is traditionally the time for planting the seeds of a new intention, a dream, or beginning a new project. And this New Moon is the first one of the new astrological year. This is the New Moon of Aries, first sign of the zodiac, first New Moon after the Vernal Equinox, time for new beginnings and initiating long-term changes.

My astrologer friend Rhea Wolf suggests a little New Moon magic for tonight that I believe will be in a beautiful alignment with our Artist’s Way work.

“As the harbinger of budding life and the return of light,” she writes, “it is a most powerful time to set intentions for the whole year. On the night of the New Moon, light a candle and let yourself connect with your desires and dreams. Then write down the things you’d like to challenge yourself to accomplish in the coming year. Be bold. Be brave. And be clear with your words. Aries is the warrior sign and so does really well with goals and objectives; a target to hit. Once you’ve written down your personal intentions, you might want to make some offerings of food or herbs by putting a plate outside or by burning them. Keep your intentions in a special place or hang them up to remind yourself of these promises made to yourself.”

I love that we started our Artist’s Way journey on the previous New Moon. One lunation into our journey now, we are well underway. How are you doing?

I can see that these discussions of the crazymakers and difficult people in our current lives are not generating as much response as when we considered the monsters from our past. Is it because they are more immediate and complicated? Or maybe you don’t really have this problem. If you don’t, you are blessed indeed.

I certainly did, the first time I went through this. I have gotten much more vigilant about who I allow into my inner circles, but there are some people we really can’t avoid and it has been my experience that I have to stay on my toes or else I can all too easily get caught up in their dramas. Which causes me to lose track of my own focus.

If you’re still not sure who might be a crazymaker in your life, just keep in mind they might be a egotistical boss, an overbearing parent, a needy friend, a stubborn spouse. Here are some of the signs:

Crazymakers break promises and destroy schedules. Julia writes, “They show up two days early for your wedding and expect to be waited on hand and foot. They rent a vacation cabin larger and more expensive than the one agreed upon and then expect you to foot the bill.”

Crazymakers expect special treatment. “They suffer a wide panoply of mysterious ailments that require care and attention whenever you have a deadline looming – or anything else that draws your attention from the crazymaker’s demands. The crazymaker cooks her own special meal in a house full of hungry children – and does nothing to feed the kids. The crazymaker is too upset to drive right after he has vented enormous verbal abuse on the heads of those around him. ‘I am afraid Daddy will have a heart attack,’ the victim starts thinking, instead of, ‘How do I get this monster out of my house?’”

Crazymakers discount your reality. Although they may pretend to hear and care about your needs, they will violate them anyway. They’re the people who “call you at midnight or 6 a.m. saying ‘I know you asked me not to call you at this time, but …’ or ‘I know you’re on a deadline, but this will only take a minute…’

Yes, I know this kind of analysis of our relationships is not so much fun, but it is important. Can you stand just a little bit more tomorrow?

• March 26, 2009, 9:50 am Anonymous

Dearest Owl.
    It might just be too close to see? I Wonder if I am a crazymaker- as I can easily hear my husband say all the things you write as signs…But it actually comes up to that it is probably him. He´s a writer, and always wants control.
    It is impossible to be creative with him beside me, and we have been married for 8 years and have 3 small children. It is so sad and painfull that I have choosen a person like him to be my life companion. It shows how I looked at myself in the past. I just dont know how to react to this, it is paralysing.
    But tonight I will celebrate a newmoon ritual and wish for clarity and set goals for the new year.
    Love from Christina

• March 26, 2009, 11:21 am Anonymous

This hit a nerve with me. I know a crazymaker who now lives in another city & I have chosen not to friend her on facebook to keep the chaos at bay. She is the person who shows up 2 days early for a wedding & makes demands. She used to go to lunch with me & a roommate on the weekends, then come to our house uninvited, & stay for hours upon end talking about her problems & ailments–a captive audience. There were a couple of times she even asked to spend the night & just kept staying. It would be Sunday night by then & I would need to prepare for the work week. I finally made it clear I was no longer listening & shut the door to my room in my house! My former roommate stays in touch with her & has had her show up in her city uninvited to stay at her house or call her & keep her on the phone for hours. It truly is "crazymaking." I've often thought of her as a spiritual vampire. What causes this? Do you think crazymaking & spiritual vampires are the same? I am not sure the individuals even realize they are doing this…

• March 26, 2009, 1:16 pm Liz

This post made me feel as if a ton of mud was dropped on me. I could actually feel myself sinking…
    Paralyzing is a very good choice of words, Christina. I have been avoiding this issue for quite some time, but it keeps coming up. No wonder. I have been married for 25 years to a very decent man…stayed very busy raising my two sons, who are now young men living their own lives (for the most part, Mama still comes to the rescue if need be). For all these years my husband has always been highly amused when I said I would really like to do anything creative. Said I was Jethro Bodine, a double naught spy one day and a sanitation engineer the next. Apologies to those of you who don’t remember the Beverly Hillbillies. Talk about squashing one’s creative flow…Anyway, I was on my way home to New Orleans recently, helps me remember who I am, and I thought, this is the rest of my life?? But I know deep down all will indeed be well if I continue to believe in myself and don’t give up. This was hard to write, but feel a lot lighter. New Moon Blessings to all…

• March 26, 2009, 3:15 pm joanna brightbrook

I think that “crazymakers” ARE a similar species to the “spiritual vampires” or just the ones who take take take without realizing their responsiblity to give.

I’ve done some real work in the past year to eliminate the crazymakers from my life: for example, my sister who put out a call for help when the money she saved for a volunteer trip to mexico was lost/stolen. She put on a benefit for herself and I donated 2 gift certificates to the silent auction, and I showed up for the benefit event too. Only to hear from one of her friends, “Oh, I didn’t know she had a sister living in town!” OUCH! and I’ve been living in the same city as my sister for over 4 years. So that really cinched it — She doesn’t need my help anymore.

Another crazymaker was a friend who would talk about her problems for hours! And then she would tell me, “don’t let me be an attention whore!” As if it were MY responsibility to keep her in check!! Or use the horrible “conversation technique” of asking me a question about my life: “how’s work?” and just wait her turn, barely listening to my answer. ugh. I finally got to the point of saying, “look, I need to focus on myself and my own journey right now, so I’m not going to be available for a while.”

I feel ruthless! But I must be ruthless because the artist within who I am protecting from these crazymakers is also the priestess and seer within. She is very precious.

• March 26, 2009, 3:40 pm Thalia

Crazymakers are a type that I instinctively run away from far and fast. When I take those Myers-Briggs tests I consistently pin out at 98-100% introverted (I know! No wonder I want to be a hermit!) and so it doesn’t take much, crazymaking-wise, to make me, well, crazy. I guess I mean that given my personality I naturally have a really low threshold for that kind of behaviour, and I tend to explode at crazymakers before I even know what I’m doing (i.e. before I consciously get to the point where I feel I have to talk to them). So I can’t say that I have any in my life right now. Then again I have two very good friends in my life total, and a couple of family. The closest to a crazymaker in my life is I guess my sister, but over the past few years I have consistently and firmly been setting boundaries with her (Repeat after me: poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part) and it seems to be working. Because I don’t think there’s any getting rid of her. 🙂

Which isn’t to say the occasional psychic vampire doesn’t attach itself to me. It is about control, I think, or at least the last one I had did in fact turn out to be abusive. And thinking about it I suspect that crazymaking and abusive behaviour are very closely related. The control and the assumption that your world revolves around them, and that they are entitled to your attention.

I think I have gotten to the point where if someone showed up two days early to my wedding and started making demands I would actually put her back on a bus and tell her sayonara. I’ve just got no tolerance for drama anymore.

So anyway, luckily, right now, I can’t think of anyone in my life I’d call a crazymaker.

• March 26, 2009, 7:38 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

Thank you all for your courage… I know this is hard, hard stuff.

Knowing, acknowledging, seeing with “clear eyes and an open heart,” as my dear friend Donald says – that is the most fundamental, basic beginning, if we want to have a foundation upon which to build..

Know that you are not alone..

• March 27, 2009, 8:09 am Anonymous

This post on crazymakers certainly interests me. In the past I’ve been a magnet for this kind of person. Giving and giving and giving and then wondering what happened and why they never cared about me.

I’m smarter now and I think I can spot them reliably. Eventually, I know I’ll understand why I got tangled up with them so many times.

Rio