Tarot Card of the Week – Nov. 3 – 9

The Knight of Cups

Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty.
If your cup is full, may it be again.

Let it be known there is a fountain

That was not made by the hands of man.

Ripple, by Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia

The Knight of Cups visits us this week, bringing his message of hope, dreams, and love. He wears a cloak covered with images of red fish. Perhaps the fish is the First Nations’ and Celtic salmon, symbol of wisdom. Or it may be the esoteric emblem of the Christ. But it is certainly a symbol of spirit, compassion and empathy.

The Knight travels with his eyes open, looking ahead, yet holds the cup as if it is a tool for divination. His heart and his dreams guide him. His helmet and feet are winged, in a similar fashion to the messenger of the Gods, Hermes, and showing us that the knight has an active and fertile imagination. Yet he rides his white horse with measured, graceful steps. Horses represent power, energy, and drive, and in Western traditions, the color white is a symbol of purity, spirituality, and light.

He rides across a barren land, coming to a small stream which he must cross, before facing the steep mountains ahead. This is a card of transition, the beginning of the adventure, and not the homecoming. Perhaps the cup he holds is yet to be filled. Or he may be on a mission to deliver its contents to others.

Cups are the suit of emotions, dreams, imagination and love. There may be a message or event that will center on these qualities. The Knight of Cups often denotes the important arrival of someone or something. Is he the Cupbearer that brings true love or healing to our hearts? For he resembles nothing so much as the White Knight of faery tales, who is the questing, romantic hero. Does he already hold in his hand the Grail he seeks, not knowing it? What might it contain?

This week, our hearts may safely guide us, as long as we agree to remain alert, calm and moving steadily forward. Positive news is in motion, love’s adventures begin, and we may move ahead with determination and grace.

May our deepest, most heartfelt dreams come true.

And may our cups be filled, and filled yet again, with love.

• November 3, 2008, 11:39 am joanna brightbrook

Hello Beth
    I am wondering — how do you choose your card of the week?
    thanks
    Joanna

• November 3, 2008, 5:47 pm Beth Owl's Daughter

Great question, Joanna! Thanks for asking.

Every Monday morning, I cast a Circle (in the Reclaiming tradition manner) in my Tarot reading room. Then, in sacred space, I state my intention: that my reading be for the highest good for any and all that visit my website and blog; that it may speak to each person in the way that they will understand; and that it will inspire, guide, and bring us the right wisdom at the right time.

I then shuffle my Rider-Waite-Smith deck three times.

By the way, this is my original, first deck that I bought in 1972, and I only use it for this purpose now. I do clear it on a regular basis.

I don’t know why, but in the last 2 years or so, instead of cutting the deck into 3 piles like I have always done with most every other deck I use, I now spread this one in a big circle, face down, moving deosil.

I then pick whatever card seems to want to speak.

I admit there have been times when I was tempted to put the card back and pick a different one, such as when we get a disturbing one, seemingly over and over again.

But I never do!

Hope this answers your questions.

By the way, you are always most welcome to discuss your own ways of how you pull cards.. I would love to hear from you and anyone else that cares to comment.

• November 3, 2008, 6:18 pm joanna brightbrook

Hi Beth,
    thanks for going into such detail!
    I have been picking a card a day with the Voyager Tarot for about 3 months now. At first I would choose a card by shuffling until one popped out, and they would quite consistently come flying out.

But sometimes no card wanted to come out, so I would pick the top card, or sometimes open the deck like a book. Whatever felt right.

Recently I began to feel bored by this one card a day. I was feeling like I wasn’t getting meaningful information from it. So I chose a spread I didn’t know (Llewllyn’s Red Dragon Spread) and started doing that every morning. Now I shuffle seven times and do this seven card spread.

I don’t spend too much time thinking about the interpretation; I take whatever comes as the first “hit”. It has been extremely interesting to me to see the same cards coming up over and over but in different positions!

• November 4, 2008, 9:11 am ARIE

I also pick one card a day but I don’t have time in the morning to cast a circle as I have to rush for work. If I only had more time…
    I cut the deck in half and pick up one card or sometimes three.
    I cut into three piles when I do a full reading with the celtic cross method.
    I think I must practice spreading into a big circle with all the cards appearing and not some covering the others.
    Sometimes your card of the week is also my card of the day. Sometimes the same card repeating itself for two or three days.
    After the card reading I do a rune reading by picking up three runes from a bag.
    Sometimes the rune reading is similar to the tarot reading and sometimes both readings reflect different levels of manifestation.
    Sometimes I get messages from Nature. For example this Saturday I was overloaded with obligations and was pushing myself too hard. While I was fueling my car a Praying Mantis started climbing my legs. I immediately got the message. To calm dowm. Be quiet in silence. Not moving. Do only what is absolutely necessary. Focus on on thing at a time.

• November 4, 2008, 9:36 am Beth Owl's Daughter

I should clarify – I don’t usually go through all this prep when I draw my own cards for the day.

I only am this formal because I consider it a larger spellworking, in terms of my intention for it to be a gift of truth and wisdom to anyone in the world who happens across it, for whatever their own needs may be. Which of course I have no way of knowing.

Thus I feel I really have to set up for major mojo, invoking the Guardians and Mysteries, in order to ensure that my reading will be for the highest good of all.

• November 4, 2008, 12:08 pm Maya

A card of hope and dreams. Not an accident on the week of elections.

• November 4, 2008, 5:30 pm Rose

Wonderful post Beth.. I am super pleased to see R. Hunter’s lyrics.. one my all time favorite songs and love the way it relates to the card!